Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is hard to explain so stick with me

What causes the deep vibration at 3,000+ rpm, that shakes the whole vehicle in like a low D type tone almost like low end feedback from a bass amp.

It is happening in my 79 ramcharger originally a 360 2
Previous owner put in a 318 from a newer 80's ramcharger.

It happened in a 72 440 that was in my wifes first 69 charger, untill I replaced it with a complete 68 383 out of another charger

I will be replacing the ramcharger engine with a complete 72 318 from a 70 challenger, will it be balanced correctly for the 4wd tranny as it is?
The engine doesn't vibrate in the challenger but I am worried that in the ram, it will

Is it the crank/ balancer combo? Or maybe the torque converter?

Is there internal/ external balancing issues at work here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
You said the engine was originally a 360, but now it's a 318. They use different torque converts. The 318 is internally balanced while the 360 is externally balanced and has weights on the torque converter. Maybe you or whoever it was forgot to change out the torque converter. Also, check the motor mounts. The could possibly be coming apart.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It depends on witch tranie the challenger has in it,some 318 cars came with small 904 tranies while most 70s trucks had larger 727s the convertors wont swap out.also be sure the damper on the truck now is not from the 360 just use the one from the challenger and it should be fine.dont forget to check for bob wts on the convertor on the truck now if you have to reuse it and it has wts just grind the spot welds and knock the wts off with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I believe you have a torque converter problem too. As for the 69 Charger with the 72 440, I'm pretty sure it was external balanced too and the 383 you put in is internal balanced. So i'm sure it was the same situation there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the info,
This is the first time I have gotten a satisfactory answer for this particular problem.
I plan on doing the swap sometime this week or weekend and I will let y'all know how it works out. ;D
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.