Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the next few weeks, if anyone is interested in helping
i'd like to pull the engine, tranny, and t-case out of my truck.

i have a few places lined up to rebuild the engine and tranny, the t-case is probably something i'll attack myself.

pizza and soda will be provided...as well as lot of swearing and bs'ing. If anyone is interested in helping..please let me know. It might get dangerous if i do it myself ;D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'll try to make it. Tina and i have finally found a house and are waiting for the deal to go thru. So depending on the timing we may be packing, moving or unpacking. You all will be invited to our house warming when we get settled in. Let me know when you plan to do it nick and i'll try to be there. 8)

Todd

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Whereabouts are you planning to do this? Your house?

..The tcase is the one thing I would let a shop do...

That's a good time to put the lift in too, when all that stuff is out of it.

You know I'll help you all I can. Having time to do it is my prob.

I have access to an engine hoist too, when you need it, as well as a tranny jack and endless supplies of advice.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm gonna do it at my house in the back yard after i get the back lot cleaned up a bit. (i have room for about 3 cars back there, should be good for 1 truck and lots of pieces)

my goal is to have my truck back on the road by Janurary of 2005. So i'm not rushing this at all.

·
Registered
423 Posts
2005?!?

Good, then I CAN help. Can't do anything with the new little chicken and all, but I can with that amount of time!

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
2005? Well, then, we only have to work when it's cool outside.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2005 seems like a good year to get this done, that way i can do everything the way it should be done, nothing half assed.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
nick, let me give ya a tip or two. i'm doing mine right now too. the NP 203 is the only t/case that has 10W30 oil in it, but when i drained mine, GL-5 came out ??? so be careful to make sure that it's all drained before you put more fluid in. also, you DO have the 203, right? here's tip #2 - THAT BIOTCH IS HEAVY!!!!!!! don't be under it when she comes down. i unbolted mine, and hooked up a ratchet strap to the back and tugged. THUD! the 727 is not hard to rebuild, from what i've seen and heard. i'm a little chicken, so not sure if i'm doing mine yet or not. anywho, be careful of the t/case!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Or do it like Duffy did when we stripped out the 87, pull all 3 items at once STILL ATTACHED to each other.
My next 2 Saturdays are spoken for, but after that I might be able to bring some half-vast supervisory skills along with my minimal mechanical skills.
Remember my knee problem? Got an X-ray in late January, a bone scan in early March, and got an MRI last week. Each test tells the Dr. something, but not enough. Hopefully the MRI will tell them what they need to know, I don't like the concept of EXPLORATORY surgery.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i thought about that, i dont like the idea of taking the entire front end off my truck though :-\

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i should have the money saved up for the engine in a few weeks (i hope) can anyone suggest a good engine builder?

the cheapest (and most recomended) i've seen is Engine House on 1-17 & Indian School, they said they will rebuild my 318 to stock specs for like $910, found another place (D&J Machine on 5th St & Dunlap) that will do it for like $1100

·
Registered
931 Posts
Have you looked into buying a new long block thru a Dodge dealer? Or a performance short block? Your truck originally had a 360, you could get one of those put back in. Seems to me that they have performance 360 short blocks for about $1300, 3 or 4 levels of performance to choose from. Remanufactured late model 360 heads from on top of that and you will have a good combo. I have a stock 4BBL intake manifold and the 360 oil pan that you can have, and 4BBL carbs are onlly $20 at Ecology.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have looked into it, the only thing stopping me from going that route is not having a 360 core to bump it down $500

·
Registered
931 Posts
you can get a long block, with all accessories hanging on it, for about $200 at Ecology, And if you do it on one of their half off saturdays, even cheaper! There are people in the chapter who will help you, me included.
Ecology is one of my favorite places, I go about twice a month just to keep up on what is there. In the trucks and vans section, there are quite a few late model engines, mid 80's up to around 91.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have two 318's, i wonder if they'd take that as a core ???

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$1760 without core, for a reman 360 (my dealer price)

$1260 with core, and i'm told they'd probably take a 318 as the core

hmm, i think i'm gonna do it..i have ALOT of saving to do
lol ;D

·
Registered
931 Posts
AZ-Trailduster said:
$1760 without core, for a reman 360 (my dealer price)

$1260 with core, and i'm told they'd probably take a 318 as the core

hmm, i think i'm gonna do it..i have ALOT of saving to do
lol ;D
yeah, but you will be getting a nice clean engine, and giving them a nasty dirty one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.