Dodge RamCharger Central banner

engine/tranny pull questions for a rookie..

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TTorres340 
#1 ·
Over the holiday weekend, my brother and I are going to strip out the '83 RC parts truck I have been holding on to. It's a original 318 4 barrel NP435 truck. I've been the 'assistant' to several motor pulls before, but this will be the first time going solo and with a manual trans truck.

Anyone care to offer any helpful info to relieve this poor old rusted out hulk of it's motor, trans, clutch linkage/pedal set up and steering column? I am going to use everything except the motor to convert a automatic '85 pick up to stick, "next year".... Tony T.

#2 ·
about the best i could do for you is to tell you if oyu are going to use these parts later to convert another truck to manual is to take lots of pics of parts locations, also label everything as oyu take it off.

other than that it is a stright forward procees to pull these things out

eric

#3 ·
unbolt the clutch linkage and the tranny from the bellhousing and pull the motor out / then drop the tranny and t-case out the bottem / you CANT pull them together

#4 ·
And if you are handy with a cutting torch, you would be far easier off to cut the tranny-tcase crossmember bolts out with this rather than trying to unbolt them. You have to take out at least 12 of them. They are a real bugger to pull off with a breaker bar, and alot of them would break out anyways.

#6 ·
Dunner said:
And if you are handy with a cutting torch, you would be far easier off to cut the tranny-tcase crossmember bolts out with this rather than trying to unbolt them. You have to take out at least 12 of them. They are a real bugger to pull off with a breaker bar, and alot of them would break out anyways.
I have pulled apart several rusty 4x4 Dodges and have never had any problems with the bolts...

#7 ·
same here, sometimes it helps to soak them with some penetrating oil first though

#9 ·
Thanks for the input guys, the motor came out yesterday and the tranny and X-fer case are just hanging there. I had to come back to 'work', so they will have to wait until tonight to come out.

About that crossmember, is it unique to 4 speed trucks? If so, I want to make sure that I save everything possible to convert my '85 Power Ram from auto.

Also, any hints on getting the shift lever out of the 435? The book says push down on the handle and turn the doo-dad on top counterclockwise - mine does not want to seem to push down.

#10 ·
TTorres340 said:
Thanks for the input guys, the motor came out yesterday and the tranny and X-fer case are just hanging there. I had to come back to 'work', so they will have to wait until tonight to come out.

About that crossmember, is it unique to 4 speed trucks? If so, I want to make sure that I save everything possible to convert my '85 Power Ram from auto.

Also, any hints on getting the shift lever out of the 435? The book says push down on the handle and turn the doo-dad on top counterclockwise - mine does not want to seem to push down.
you do not push the handle down, you push the little aluminum cup thingy down and turn, may take a bit of coaxing but it will come off

eric

#11 ·
Well, everything's out (at least all the big heavy stuff). Thanks again for all the help. Sure would have been easier to pull that handle with the damn motor still hooked up! We got a little carried away with ourselves and pulled the motor and trans cross member (only 4 bolts refused to come out in one piece) before taking the handle off the tranny. Course, we've not yet removed the upper braces. It they are the same as used on auto trucks, I'll just leave 'em be. TT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.