Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, need some help here. I am deployed to Afghanistan, so my rescources are pretty limited (not to mention time).

I am the proud owner of a 1983 RC with stock 318. I am looking into engine swaps and wondering what I can look at for a "drop-in" app. She needs more power!

The only drawback is that I am trying to raise a family on a SSG's pay while doing this. I would love to be able to get a bit of help, do some research , and order a turnkey engine (with a bit more a$$) that I can just drop in when I get home.

There lies another problem, I live in Alaska so shipping may be an issue. Thanks for your time guy's (and gal's)
-SSG Joshua Ferguson

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well there is the option of the Mopar Performance Magnum 380HP 360... that you can get from your local dealer its not a $500 reman but its not a $14,000 hemi either... i cant remembver off hand how much they run but its well worth the time and $$ to do the conversiton if you want more power. i have not done this swap YET but as soon as one of my 318s hand me a rod thats what gonnna happen.... hope this helps

G

·
The 380 horse crate engine is too hot for an RC. What I mean is that it's really a race engine. It'll put a 3400lb Duster into the 12's right out of the box. Too tempermental. A lot of the 380hp buyers wind up swapping the single-plane intake for a dual plane, and the hot cam get's 86'd in favor of something more calm. The 300hp 360 would be more suitable, and a bit less expensive, but still around 3 grand. Why not just amp up the 318? Adding a good cam, 4V intake and carb, free-flowing exhaust will net 100hp and over 90lbs torque where it can be used. It'll still idle at 750 rpm, and be perfectly streetable. A good rebuild and the power parts would be nothing compared to a crate's cost.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts