Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on swapping the 318 in my 89 RC 4x4 for a 360, or 360 magnum. What kind of problems will I face with the magnum install? Also, any links to a 360 crate engine would be helpful..thanks....

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Build a stroker, for the price of that crate you can have a stroker and more torque than the crate, if you stroke your 318 it will be 390 if you stroke a 360 it will be 408 so if you do this it will be b b power without a new trans and all the other little problems associated with putting in a b b and will out perform the 360 crate what could be better without getting to involved

·
Registered
647 Posts
What are we looking at for a stroker build up? Crank, cam, intake, all that stuff? What about tranny? Are there any numbers for the block such as boring, planning, etc...
I have thought about this for some time and would like the advice of all involved.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well 1st you already have the trans all your changing is the crank to make the displacement and your moving the pin up in the piston you can get an entire assembly already balanced ready to go from "Muscle Motors" for like $1900 that includes Pistons your choice comp ratio, Rods, Crank, Bearings and Rings, that's all in the kit, then you decide what cam to use, i would use a roller, and then i would use a edel air gap int or a perf rpm, pretty much it's a basic rebuild with a extremely light little notch in the block on the cylinder wall for the rod bolt, i figure $ 3600 with a roller based on the high side and roller lifters also based on the high side 1900+200 bore and hone,800 roller, 800 rlifter,150 t chain,250 int, 500 carb,thenthere is the balancer i would go for the extra money, the heads you don't have to go crazy leave em alone valve job bronze guides, but you could save money by using the factory rods which are fine,but i would go this route for the little amount over the cost of the crate the stroker will out do it everywhere ask for chuck @ MM 517-482-4900 then all you need is a machinist

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
well i say it can be done depending how you build it you really won't have to go crazy with cams to get big torque but if you keep all the emissions and tune it right i can't see why it wouldn't what i would do for the test would be put in a 210 stat new oil and filters alittle leaner mix that day , i have seen cars and trucks without emissions run pretty clean and pass on those machines of course if you don't know the inspector and it does pass without the emissions equip here they fail you anyway which i really don't understand if it passes it passes right, i should have been a lawyer

·
Registered
30 Posts
HELP!
I am not at all mechanically inclined and being as how I work for uncle sam I am not wealthy.  I have an 86 RC with a 360 and it is worn out and leaking a quart every three days!  I check at the local parts store and they can get me a long block for 1500 (300 core with three year warrenty).  I was thinking of tearing what I have down and trying to fix what is wrong along the way.  BUT I think that is not going to work and being as how I suck at mechanics stuff I am stuck.  Anyone have any idears.  She is my daily driver and I am not sure what to do.  I have a feeling she is going to die on me sometime!  Thanks
Ryan ???

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
caul1986 said:
HELP!
I am not at all mechanically inclined and being as how I work for uncle sam I am not wealthy. I have an 86 RC with a 360 and it is worn out and leaking a quart every three days! I check at the local parts store and they can get me a long block for 1500 (300 core with three year warrenty). I was thinking of tearing what I have down and trying to fix what is wrong along the way. BUT I think that is not going to work and being as how I suck at mechanics stuff I am stuck. Anyone have any idears. She is my daily driver and I am not sure what to do. I have a feeling she is going to die on me sometime! Thanks
Ryan ???
Honestly, this is not something you should be taking on yourself. You probably don't have the correct tools and certainly don't have the experience. Even if you could figure it out and methodically accomplish the swap, it would take your daily driver out for a considerable period of time as a first time job.

I would recommend you have a decent mechanic check for the leaks - that should not be pricey and will buy you a little time.

Then you either go to community college for an automotive program (I went weekends for 1 year when I first learned and it was nice and cheap) or make friends with someone who is mechanically experienced if you want to learn to do the swap. In the meantime a temporary replacement vehicle would be needed.

The alternative is that you shop around and let a local shop do the swap, or lastly you get another vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey thanks for the suggestions!  ;D Due to the Army I am unable to get away for school.  I had the old T204 replaced at the dealer with an old T208.  It was an expensive swap and the T208 had a considerable amount of miles but I had to do what I had to do to get her up and running.
I was told there that the leaks where coming from the rear engine seal.  The mechanic there also told me due to the smoke when she is starting up there is oil leaking into the engine.  SIGH...  ???  I replace the valve cover gaskets and still leaking.  It seems even more though! 
If I were to do that long block I was told there was nothing to it.  Get a cherry picker, removed the little bit of wiring labeling what goes where, un bolt from the tranny and motor mounts and yank.  After its out removed all the outer stuff.  AC compressor, starter, etc. and put them on the re-firbed long block.  Then put the re-firbed back in re-bolt, reseal, and poof.  I was told I shouldn't have to worry about timing or anything.
Any suggestions?  O also the next issue was that either way this is going to be a little bit of money.  Do you know of anywhere I can go to get help with this due to the fact I have little resources.  Shops or places you have heard of that will work with people.  PHEW...  :-[

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
The issue isn't that it is that complicated, but not having done it before you can run into snags and considerable slow downs.  The description is accurate enough, but "simple" doesn't mean "easy" if it's your first time.  I did my long block swap in 3 days with a friend helping me for some parts (lineing up the engine with the tranny, checking throttle movement, etc)

If you're in the military, I understand plenty of bases have a "hobby" shop that the guys use for mechanical work.  Look for a friend there...

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I'm not sure what your talking about with T204 and T208.  If it smokes on start up that is bad valve seals.  Thats simple enough and you could pay a shop to do it or maybe do it yourself.  That would get rid of the start up smoke.  The rear main can be done with the engine in the vehicle but its not fun.  I don't think your engine is done yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts