Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Engine swap

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  440_Offroader 
#1 ·
Hi Chick Wagon. Ya we''l start a new thread for a BS session. My 440 was relatively easy, because it is an original 400 truck. I looked for some time, for a an original big block RC, just so I wouldn't have to change, and find, a pile of parts. I still had to change the brake booster to the smaller diameter one, due to the taller deck height of the 440. You could put a body lift in to get the clearance, but I want to keep my center of gravity lower. For your truck, I'd build up a good 360 (stroked, you can get up to 440 cubes now!) than try to convert it.
For the weight... I think a big block is only 200 lbs heavier than a small block. That's the weight of a passenger!? You put a small block and big block side by side, there's not much difference. Dodge big blocks are way smaller in comparison, to a chevy or ford big block. Last time I drove mine, it had 1\2 ton diffs in it. I've thrown in a Dana 60/70 in it now. Those bitches are HEAVY! I would bet that I've added 400lbs with the bigger diffs!  Before, my truck's weigh in was just under 5000lbs. I'm curious to see how much it will weigh, when I have it back together. It's kind of a compromise. Bigger tires = bigger drive train components = more weight. My truck was really reliable when I had 35's and stock drive train. When I got 37" boots with the 440... things started coming apart. Being smaller has it's advantages... and costs less too!  {yes}

#2 ·
i have a 78 3/4 ton waiting to give up its 400 for the rc I have everything except the proper mounts. some guys say the 2wd and 4wds are the same, every time i wade thru a thread on the subject i end up getting a headache. is it possible to get a pic of your engine mounts?

#3 ·
For sure. I used the mounts off my 400 when I put in the 440. The 440 was out of a motor home. Can't remember if the mounts were the same. They probably got junked along with the rest of the vehicle.
I don't see any reason the mounts would be different. I'm sure the crossmembers are the same, so I don't see why the mounts would be different. I'll snap some pics...
The left side bracket has more of an offset to it, compared to the right side one. First 2 pics are the left side, other 2 are of the right side.

Attachments

#6 ·
Good to know. I would theorize that the 4x4 crossmember is slightly forward on a 4x4 frame compared to a 2wd. Also, the mounting ears (on the block itself), on the bigblock are farther back than on a smallblock. That's my guess, as my BB 4x4 mounts offset towards the front. I wonder if a smallblock 2wd, would have mounts offset to the rear?

#7 ·
440_Offroader said:
Hi Chick Wagon. ...Those bitches are HEAVY! I would bet that I've added 400lbs with the bigger diffs! Before, my truck's weigh in was just under 5000lbs. I'm curious to see how much it will weigh, when I have it back together. It's kind of a compromise. Bigger tires = bigger drive train components = more weight. My truck was really reliable when I had 35's and stock drive train. When I got 37" boots with the 440... things started coming apart. Being smaller has it's advantages... and costs less too! {yes}
Hey 440_Offroader, That's more to think about for sure ...there's a RC with a 360 in it for $500 on kijiji right now. So that's definitely worth thinking about.

#8 ·
I want a RC project!

Might sell the Bitch to finance one again :eek:

#9 ·
Chick Wagon said:
there's a RC with a 360 in it for $500 on kijiji right now. So that's definitely worth thinking about.
I just took a 75' 360, that smoked, to the metal recyclers. It was sitting around for years and couldn't give it away. Would have been a good free core, for a rebuild.

#11 ·
Gah, me too! I've been looking at all those RCs with 360s up for sale for under $600  in Calgary, but I just found out that my housemate bought a 73 Land Cruiser somewhere along the way on his "Challenger Road Trip" and took the last parking spot. I actually had a truck lined up yesterday.

The funny thing is last night I actually saw the truck after I called the dude to cancel my looksee yesterday, going for what I assume was a test drive with some punk, (no offense to you punks out there) and thought what awesome value for $550--Flat black, nice body, good chrome and glass.  All the lights worked and of course it was pulling into a gas station! I had this idea that I'd put the spare 440 and tranny into it, and take the 360 for my Trailduster.

Ah, what could have been.

#12 ·
That sucks, that you're limited to your parking. Try to find a giant RC with 44" tires, then just park on top of that Land Cruiser! Problem solved!  ;D I have parking problems too. Have my car and RC in the garage, along with 2 dirt bikes and a quad. Then I have my diesel, holiday trailer, and work truck in the drive way. Now, I'm looking for a nice 75' to 80' Power Wagon, for a cruiser. Not sure where I'd put that!?

#13 ·
Mr.Gutsy said:
hell i woulda jumped on that if you were closer :p
Its gone now but it looked really sketchy...you could tell that it was just spray painted with flat black and he didnt give any pictures of the front or passenger side.In the pictures you could tell that the front grill and core support were tweaked pretty good.Think it was beat to absolute hell and he just covered it up.Tranny t case and diffs were probably near death.Was on Kijiji for almost a month.

#14 ·
Yeah, It's been around...Apparently it was his uncle's, then his sisters and he said the tranny was just about done. I was thinking it was rough enough that I woulnd't mind squeezing it between some trees once in a while, you know? $550, waddaya expect, right?

My household is pushing max capacity, between us there's 10 vehicles and the massive Lemans (garaged) and the Dart (backyard) aren't running which is part of the problem...and there's a camper in front of it. My housemate's Challenger usually gets the other spot in the garage. Our next door neighbour is going to loan us a spot in his garage for the Challenger over the winter so I can pull my motor and help get that Lemans back on the road. Never ending pile of projects. I'm pushing hard to get the Dart priority over the Lemans.  ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.