Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 dodge D100 with a V6 and a 5 speed tranny in it and want to know about putting a 318 in it and if it will drop right in without have to do any modifactions to it at all like mounts and all just want to drop in and go being my V6 is backfiring thru carb someone said could be cam going out my timing jumped a tooth  or sticky values and only has about 80% compression in 1 of the cylenders

Thanks for any help ya can give me

G

·
im pretty sure the engine mounts are the same, ive seen then do the same to a 1980's dakota in Petersons 4Wheel magazine

did it just now start barkfiring?

how meany miles are on the v6?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
about 3 weeks ago someone said could be cam going out only had about 80 %percent compression in 1 of the cyniders or could be timing jumped a tooth or vacume leak
had it ck out at a shop that did comp ck for it about 150 thousand plus on engine

·
7,250 Posts
Once again, it probably isn't the cam. Having a lobe on the cam of an LA engine wipe out is so rare as to be non-existent. It just doesn't happen. If it was a small block chevy you were having problems with I would be more able to believe it. They did have some problems with that.

Having one cylinder with lower compression in it is more likely to be a valve or piston ring problem or possibly a blown head gasket. There are many causes for this problem. What are the compression numbers for each cylinder, not just one of them, all of them. The true test of a bad engine based on compression is not what any one cylinder is but what they all are as compared to the rest.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts