Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey is there any law saying that i can't put a older engine then my truck in my truck (440,400, 383) and if its because my year of RC (92) didn't come with the option could i put a older 360 in it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
IIRC, `90 was the cutoff for something concerning an engine swap. I *think* that if the vehicle is a `91 and newer, you can only put in what was available in your year, and you can't use an older engine. Im assuming you have a 360, so if you follow the law to the letter you could use a `92+ 360. When was the last time you saw an inspection shop get under the vehicle and check the casting numbers on the engine though? ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing tho is that if i swap to a 360 (basically same block as 318) it would be a carbed motor vs my 318 MPFI so thats the onlything that worry's me right now. a 92+ 360 would be alot of work from what i'm thinking. Me and tv_larsen talked about it and decided that if i went from a 318 to 360 i'd prob have to switch out the computer.

Wish i knew some inspectors lmao

·
Super Moderator
8,447 Posts
Weg said:
Me and tv_larsen talked about it and decided that if i went from a 318 to 360 i'd prob have to switch out the computer.
That was a guess on my part as I don't totally understand how that system works.

ExDelayed, I think you are right, I'd heard that '89 and older, only need a sniffer test. If they pass the sniffer, there is no visual inspection done. That means Weg, having a '92 "should" have a visual inspection every year. A carbed 360 would never pass.

Technically speaking, swapping in an engine older than the vehicle is illegal, everywhere, but is only caught (but probably rarely checked) at an emission inspection. Also, if you were to swap a '98 360, for example, into a '85 Dodge, you are supposed to maintain ALL of the '98 emissions. Also, its not legal to swap in an engine that was not available. So for example, and Cummins swap into Weg's '92 RC wouldn't be legal. That also means the big block swap is illegal in both ways.

The question is, how much of this is actually checked at a emission inspection? I don't know, never had to get my cars through anything except safety inpection, which is bad enough. My suspiscion is, if you swaped in a Magnum 360, and made it look like a totally stock 1992 360, you'd pass every time. But I don't know exactly what a swap to 360 would involve for you (computer, throttle body, injectors, ????).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
larsen you keep giving me bad news! lol....anyone have a beat up 92 with 4.10 geared axles, a 360 and a manual tranny they wanna sell for cheap? lol.

Seriously, now i have to decide between building a 360 or beefing my 318

·
Registered
255 Posts
Being only familiar with the OBD-II fuel injection on the Contour, I am just guessing, but hear me out.

The truck uses the O2 sensor to see if its running rich/lean. In theory, upon startup it would think that its a 318, but would see a lean problem and compensate. In all actuality, it would be no different then being at a different altitude. Bumping fuel pressure slightly might be an option, as with running slightly larger injectors, if its even possible on this FI setup. ???

;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just swaped all my 5.2 stuff over to a supercharged 5.9. you will need to change out almost everything. e-mail ([email protected]) me your phone number and I will call you with a list of needed changes and help you thru-it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks but i'm at crossroads in my thinking right now, dont know if i want to swap out the RC's engine (wouldnt' happen for awhile) or paint the RC, Lift it, give it bigger tires, and dual 3" exhaust then go and look for a project dart/duster ect..

·
Registered
39 Posts
As we write I'm working on my 3" Ex., there are somethings you will need to relocate. I had Layton Hills Dodge paint my RC and it was about $2,000.00. On the lift, you may want to check on air bag systems and lighter leaf's. I live in Clinton and if you need help just let me know.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i already have the single 3" in my truck just want to go with duals, and i dont plan on spending 2000$ on a paint job (all ready to go just need to give it a final sanding job and paint it) and i still dont know what to do, weather really beef up my RC or buy a project Dart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts