Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever put a set of headers on their truck only for the truck to run worse afterwards?

I just got my truck back from the shop and it sounds great, but doesn't run as good as it did before. I take that back it runs way better at like 1/4 throttle, but any more throttle and it runs worse. It feels super sluggish, and bogs down real bad with a lot of throttle(I thought I got rid of that problem too).

Do I just need to tune my carb or what?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
What truck. Year, engine.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 83 W-150 factory 4bbl 318. It has a 625 Street Demon on it now. I wouldn't think it would need bigger jets or anything being a 318 with an aftermarket carb. Maybe my accelerator pump is not set right for the new lean condition.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
dwrestle said:
It's a 83 W-150 factory 4bbl 318. It has a 625 Street Demon on it now. I wouldn't think it would need bigger jets or anything being a 318 with an aftermarket carb. Maybe my accelerator pump is not set right for the new lean condition.
Are you getting a stumble right off idle?
Does it feel like it's running out of gas when your cruising?
Is it backfiring through the carb?
Is full throttle better?

These are all signs of leanness.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it actually runs best with less amounts of throttle. It runs best at about 1/4 throttle maybe up to 1/2 throttle(I don't know how much the pedal is actually moving the throttle). No back firing through the carb, exhaust pops here and there but that's normal for glass packs in my experience. If I give it full throttle it falls on it's face and sometimes dies.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
dwrestle said:
No it actually runs best with less amounts of throttle. It runs best at about 1/4 throttle maybe up to 1/2 throttle(I don't know how much the pedal is actually moving the throttle). No back firing through the carb, exhaust pops here and there but that's normal for glass packs in my experience. If I give it full throttle it falls on it's face and sometimes dies.
Still sounds lean to me.
Check your fuel filter too.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
How is the timing?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Glass packs wont make it pop, glasspacks will make it crackle especially w/2" tail pipes w/the benifit of some added back pressure for a stock motor= need back pressure  .fix exaust leaks first, then tune the carb.full exaust w/tail pipes?? Going lean🤔

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
KurtfromLaquinta nailed it.  It doesnt take much to change the tune and headers are alot.  You're probably lean 2 jet sizes (or rods, or whatever that carb uses).  Not to mention step up springs, etc.

Check all your spark plugs.  Bet they look lean 

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
your carb should be plenty for your setup without doing anything to it. I would lean towards improper ignition timing, or a bad ignition coil or module.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think about the fuel filter. I'm not sure what my timing is, but I think they said 12 degrees btdc last time they checked. Almost all my ignition stuff is new, but that doesn't mean it's not bad I just wouldn't expect it to be. Yeah I would expect any aftermarket 625cfm carb to be set up for a 350 chevy, and would be fine on a 318. I have an appointment the 6th they are gonna hook it up to their scope and have a look see.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
Glass packs wont make it pop, glasspacks will make it crackle especially w/2" tail pipes w/the benifit of some added back pressure for a stock motor= need back pressure .fix exaust leaks first, then tune the carb.full exaust w/tail pipes?? Going lean🤔
"Back pressure on exhaust" goes along with "skinny tires are better off road"... another old wives tale.

But more back pressure would solve the lean issue.
Why put headers on then? {noclue}

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
dwrestle said:
I didn't think about the fuel filter. I'm not sure what my timing is, but I think they said 12 degrees btdc last time they checked. Almost all my ignition stuff is new, but that doesn't mean it's not bad I just wouldn't expect it to be. Yeah I would expect any aftermarket 625cfm carb to be set up for a 350 chevy, and would be fine on a 318. I have an appointment the 6th they are gonna hook it up to their scope and have a look see.
That's why I run an Air/ Fuel Gauge in my dash.
AND I finally learned how to jet my Six Pack the right way.
Now if California would keep the same fuel year round... I got a good baseline for the winter blend... working on the summer blend still. ::)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Wives tale huh okay  for instance lets take a supertrapp Muffler we will play with the discs and go two into one put that on a stock any year I don't care Harley Sportster equals back pressure equals more power.stock motor i said. Now let's put some two and a half inch straight pipes on it and now we can just make some noise and lose power no wifes tale there same principle .i was really just speaking of the glass packs

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
Wives tale huh okay for instance lets take a supertrapp Muffler we will play with the discs and go two into one put that on a stock any year I don't care Harley Sportster equals back pressure equals more power.stock motor i said. Now let's put some two and a half inch straight pipes on it and now we can just make some noise and lose power no wifes tale there same principle .i was really just speaking of the glass packs
Back pressure... the name speaks for itself.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Kurt School me I don't know if he's running full exhaust or headers into purple hornies with no tail pipes if it's a stock motor you actually lose a little power on top end no or yes?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
okay let's not call it back pressure cuz back pressure is bad. Right, let's say pipes sized properly for the application. But why does the super trap build more power or Torque let's say seems like it's creating more back pressure I think I am schooling myself I would like some more input though.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Jeffy45 said:
okay let's not call it back pressure cuz back pressure is bad. Right, let's say pipes sized properly for the application. But why does the super trap build more power or Torque let's say seems like it's creating more back pressure I think I am schooling myself I would like some more input though.
Sorry I took so long to respond back here... busy man. ;D
Let's look at it this way... anytime you increase the flow- either in or out- you change the mix of the engine.
Your right... balance of parts is crucial. There's a lot of people out there that just throw parts on an engine with usually bad results.
You keep mentioning Super Trap Mufflers/ Baffles. The only time I ran a Super Trap was on my Honda motorcycle. If I remember correctly... the more "disc" you put in it, the louder it got. If your pushing horsepower in the upper range- restriction is bad. So any increase in flow is good.
I'd be willing to bet if dwrestle here did a dyno test on his stock set up vs. his newly installed header install... AND he jetted up to match this install... he would have an horsepower increase.
The flow is greater! I feel a restriction would be a determent to that flow.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I was watching this last night where they talk about and test the "back pressure" phenomenon with dyno results
basically, it says what Kurt says "If your pushing horsepower in the upper range- restriction is bad. So any increase in flow is good."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.