Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've toyed with either rebuilding the 318. Or building a 360.
Has anyone installed a mag 360 but kept a carb and elec ign?
I've read other threads, but they seem to keep the EFI.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
I put a 360 Magnum crate engine in my '72 Charger SE and used a carb and electronic ignition.  Pretty easy swap, sticking with a carb eliminates a lot of the wiring headaches.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I did not use the crank sensor ignition , I used an ecu ( silver box on firewall ) but with a mag type coil  .  If you leave out too many of the sensors , the newer pcm will be operating on presets , eventually the timming will be off and nonadjustable  . If I had to do it again however , I would install it MPEFI as factory .  rewire from the dash forward , and fuel tank ..  no carb ( can't believe I said that ) today's gas / and eddy carb ? bad combo . 

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that's two different opinions. ::)
Ok so is the Magnum essentially a straight swap?
Keeping the ECU and carb?
There shouldn't be any electrical or wiring much correct?
This would be going to the factory TF727.
No computer.

I understand the AC being the bigger issue.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
You need to get an intake for a mag engine, or have the heads re-drilled. Don't know if you can use all the magnum accessories with the carb intake or not. if so, then the AC is not a big deal, just need custom hoses made to mate the new compressor to your AC system.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
The swap to a Magnum 360 is not much different than a LA 360.  You still need the one odd engine mount bracket like any LA 340 or 360 and you will have to make sure your torque converter is balance for the Magnum 360 as it has a unique balance from the LA 360 or any other engine for that matter.  If you have an LA series engine with electronic ignition, there shouldn't be any wiring as the distributor from your 318 will drop in and the sending units should all be in the same basic location on a Magnum carb intake.  You can use a LA timing cover and the LA pulleys and brackets to keep the V-belt set up.  There is even a way to add a fuel pump eccentric to the Magnum engines to use a stock type mechanical fuel pump.  The A/C compressor can be an issue, depending on what intake you use.  The old Mopar dual plane intake would clear an A/C compressor, but had no provision for the rear brace on most of them.  My Charger used the old RV2 style compressor, so it wasn't much of a problem for me, but you will need to see if the intake you choose will work with what you want to do.  At the end of the day, wiring will be the least of your concerns with a carb'd Magnum swap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dually noted thank you.
FYI I couldn't get the rear bolt down for my ac compressor now so it's no big deal.
I think having the serpentine belt would be more superior than a v belt.

Will the trans mount up correctly

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
johnnycashjunkie said:
Dually noted thank you.
FYI I couldn't get the rear bolt down for my ac compressor now so it's no big deal.
I think having the serpentine belt would be more superior than a v belt.

Will the trans mount up correctly
Block is essentially the same, so the tranny will bolt right on

read Magnumswap.com for a good summary

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the basic engine is the same , even the exhaust manifolds swap , just the intake won't . I kept the mag front cover and belt , it is an improved design , far less leaks . I used an aftermarket intake for a carb that bolts the way a mag does onto the heads , I do NOT have a/c , and so just cut the interfering part of the mag a/c bracket OFF . I understand there ARE intakes that will allow use of the mag a/c pump though .  transmission: yes all bolt up the exact same . The 360 mag requires a 360 mag weighted converter or fly wheel ( if a stick) all flex plates and flywheels bolt up same as L/A .  360MAG  used a weighted converter untill 1996 when the weights were put on the flex plate instead . MAG and 360 L/A weights are NOT the same amount ... 318 has NO weights , so your 318 converter WILL work with a 1996+ newer 360 mag flex plate AND work with your 3 speed NON lockup 727 transmission . SOOO a flex plate from a 360V8 dodge 1996+newer . the outer ring for the crank sensor gets ignored , a zero weighted converter gets bolted to it ..  IF you have rare 1993 original mag 360 exhaust manifolds they are SLIGHTLY larger at the pipe end , SLIGHTLY larger than any other year .... IF you don't have them , I'D use factory 318 truck manifolds , save the hassle of custom pipes OR headders .  Just remove the crossover butterfly from the 1 side , leave the shaft .

me ?  I'd use a 360 mag a 518 trans and crossmember , a lock up converter , with all the wiring from a mag . yepper alot more work . 

·
Registered
10 Posts
It was pretty straightforward swap - 1984 318 for 2001 5.9 magnum. I used the cheap crosswind manifold and wanted to keep the AC and serpentine belt system so had to lift the AC compressor about 1" using spacers and buy a longer belt.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.