Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having alittle trouble pulling my engine. I have every thing unhooked i have quadrople checked and there is nothing hanging on to it. I dont want to damage thr output shaft so I figured I'd ask you guys for any tricks you may know of to help me out. All i need to know is how to seperate the engine from teh tranny with out breaking anything (i tried spraying it with the water hose but that didnt work...bad joke) thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes its an automatic. The only bolts I have removed are all the ones that were mating the tranny to the engine. How can i get the torque converter and flexlate bolts? I have about an inch gap all the way around between the engine and tranny I dont know if I could get to the torque converter and flexplate bolts.

G

·
There's an inspection cover at the bottom of the bellhousing, just behind the oil pan. You will have to pull the starter out if you haven't already. Remove the cover and turn the motor to bring the bolts around to where you can get to them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
depending on how much you've already tried to get it out.. even if the torque converter is NOT unbolted.. it should seperate.. You may want to check once again that all the bolts are out of the bellhousing. I've pulled engines before without disconnecting the converter ( I know it SHOULD be) but regardless.. You can pull it with the motor if you have the extra few inches.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
PrimerGrey said:
You can, but it's really hard on the tranny pump seals.
correct.. but I was just pointing out that it should still come out even if it IS connected. I prefer to disconnect it, personally because it makes the engine assembly a few inches shorter and more manageable

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Replace all bearings in the motor. Buy quality ones. Cam bearings are important to change. If you are doing a overhaul and rebuild make sure you have a machine shop with quality guys doing the work.

If you decide the cam and cylinder walls look good and are not going to bore it at least replace the rings. Even if you don't replace the cam have cam bearings put in it-I made this mistake and had to do it all over just to get the cam bearings replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
first thing i would say: mic everything! check all your tolerances.

if i were to build another 318, i'd do it the exact same way i did the one in there now. .030 over, hi comp pistons, good strong cam, recondition the rods, reman the heads, etc

if you are going to go to the trouble and pull it down, build it back up right..

Jake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.