Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a Ramcharger that I'm considering on buying. The owner says there are a few engine problems. There's no smog equipment, I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea what parts that would be. It's the V8 360 engine, but it has a 2 barrel carb instead of a 4 barrel. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that since I thought big engines needed lots of air. Also, he says he believes the timing is off since the truck won't stay on. No a/c, which is straight forward enough. It's an 88 model so if anyone knows of a forum here or maybe on another site please point me in the right dirrection. Oh, and one thing I found really odd the back hatch or whatever it's called is made of fiberglass. How common was that or is that a replacement? Please, I really want to buy this vehicle but I'm not sure how major these issues are or how difficult it is to find those particular parts. I live in Georgia so if anyone reading this is in Georgia please help me out. I've been looking for a project vehicle and I believe this is the one. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
are you sure its a 360  because if its a 318 then it would have a 2 bbl throttle body EFI

all 1981 to 1993 back hatches are fiberglass

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Just because it's there doesn't mean it's stock, but what came there should give you clues. It's slightly more difficult to put a 318 into a 360 vehicle. There's a VIN decoder on the side bar of the sight. You can put the VIN in there and see what it originally came with.

G

·
The emissions related stuff is:
The Charcoal Canister
Smog/Air Pump

i think that the Vacuum Amplifier and Vacuum Reservoir are included but i'm not sure....

What state do you like in?

cause if you could get by without the smog pump and the emissions it would not bog the engine down as much...

Also does the RamCharger have an AC Compressor, or not?

cause i have seen some dodge trucks with an aftermarket York air compressor, if you have an AC compressor you might just need new o'rings to seal it and some freon and some dye.....

G

·
Aside from the mystery, many 360's were equipped with 2v carbs, even 383 and 400. Could be an aftermarket swap someone did to try to save gas, or as
mentioned, mistaken identity. Dig some more.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
gen1dak said:
Aside from the mystery, many 360's were equipped with 2v carbs, even 383 and 400. Could be an aftermarket swap someone did to try to save gas, or as
mentioned, mistaken identity. Dig some more.
Many 360s were. I don't think they were available that way in an RC in '88 but it could have had one swapped on. I was actually impressed by the fuel efficiency of the 360-2 so I have a complete 360-2 setup. (they weren't as bad as the 318-2 setup)

Also, that truck could have been a 318 and be running a 360 with the 318 TBI.

G

·
Aftermarket isn't exactly the right term. What I meant was after purchase OEM type swap, meaning a factory 2V swap in place of the 4v it most likely came with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it still has the a/c compressor, the guy said he didn't take it off because he needed it to stay on because of the belt. Where would I locate the engine type? Is it in the VIN? If so where in the VIN? I live in Georgia so an emissions test is required for anything from an 86 model and up. Bartow county is an exception, but I don't live in that county or have friends there.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Jasonbailey said:
Yes it still has the a/c compressor, the guy said he didn't take it off because he needed it to stay on because of the belt. Where would I locate the engine type? Is it in the VIN? If so where in the VIN? I live in Georgia so an emissions test is required for anything from an 86 model and up. Bartow county is an exception, but I don't live in that county or have friends there.
Get the VIN and put it into the VIN decoder on the side for the appropriate year.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Youve deffinatly come to the right place for RamChargers, if not the only place. Some people don't like to read and have stupid comments as if you do not have a real legitimate problems. Excuse them.

The information about the motor size is not in the VIN number itself. But, the VIN number can be used to get this information.The VIN can be found on the top of the driver side dash near the wind shield or on the inside of the drivers door jam you will find a VIN placard with all the information about your truck.

Once you have your VIN number click on the link "VIN DECODER" Its the third link down on the left side of the screen.
<<<<<<<
This will give you all the information about the stock features of your RamCharger.

Also the fastest way to see what motor came with the truck it to look above you when the hood is popped. On the bottom side of the hood sometimes you can find a laminated information card. Motor type/size will either be specified as 5.2L(for a 318) or 5.9L(for a 360)

Have you run the truck yourself at all? Also check to see if there are any manufacturer names on the carb. Might help to see if its after market. Also unless someone swapped it to carbureted it is most likely TBI (Throttle body injection). To the uninformed eye it will appear to be a carburetor when in fact its not. If it is TBI I dont think it will be a 360 since the first year the 260 had TBI was 89. Dont quote me.  Also all the rear hatches on the RC's were mostly fiberglass as far as i know.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If it originally was a 318 TBI then converted to a 360, it will never run very good with the 318's Throttle body and computer.  It sounds like a hack job and I think you should pass on it and find a RC that is in better mechanical shape.  If your not very experienced with mechanical or electrical work, this RC could burn you out real quick trying to make it right and pass smog.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with c300. If you have limited "fixin' cars" experience,You should look for something with all the smog equipment intact. (Should be some kind of sticker on the windshield)
If you buy this particular truck,you will be all over the place trying to find parts to make it legal.
  The owner said it doesn't run right. There's a clue for you to "pass" also.
You'll find something good if you're patient.  Good luck,Pard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts