Dodge RamCharger Central banner
221 - 240 of 247 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I am planning on changing the the cam, intake, heads (maybe) and TBI (maybe). That is why I am looking for input from all of you knowledgeable guys. I don't know what works best together. Do I have a bottomless pit of money, no. But I also like the reliability of the TBI that is on it, just a few cranks and it fires right up. That is the only reason I have mentioned the Holley Sniper. If the stock TBI can and will work with the aftermarket parts I will use it, but I don't think it will. Again, I am looking for an engine that is reliable, and strong with a fair amount of bottom end torque that I can light up both tire at command from a stand still. I'm not going to give HP or torque numbers this time, I think that has caused to much debate.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,634 Posts
Yes 74snowfiter, the Edelbrock's have pretty much doubled in price since the 80's, especially if it's for a Magnum.

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,634 Posts
Well, by how you described what you want for power you better be prepared to spend a few thousand and if you want to tire smoking power you'll need to lose that TBI. There are tons of threads on here talking about engine combinations.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
I am planning on changing the the cam, intake, heads (maybe) and TBI (maybe). That is why I am looking for input from all of you knowledgeable guys. I don't know what works best together. Do I have a bottomless pit of money, no. But I also like the reliability of the TBI that is on it, just a few cranks and it fires right up. That is the only reason I have mentioned the Holley Sniper. If the stock TBI can and will work with the aftermarket parts I will use it, but I don't think it will. Again, I am looking for an engine that is reliable, and strong with a fair amount of bottom end torque that I can light up both tire at command from a stand still. I'm not going to give HP or torque numbers this time, I think that has caused to much debate.
The stock TBI won't allow for any performance gains, even a good 4bbl carburetor makes a noticeable difference in power, the '88-back 4bbl 360 will stomp the TBI off the line.

A aftermarket EFI like the Holley Sniper will support whatever you want, and is easy to reprogram if you decide to go one piece at a time with engine modifications until you are satisfied. The stock throttle body is very small cfm wise, 500 at most where the Sniper is 800cfm and 4bbl Vs 2bbl.

Personally I'd start with the fuel system first, while it alone won't get it to where you are wanting it will allow you to tell just what really needs to happen to the engine without the terrible restriction of the stock fuel injection holding the 360 back.

Reactions: neil4224

· Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
Oh and by the way, the Edelbrock intake will not work with the factory TBI. I forgot to mention that earlier. You will need a 4 bbl style throttle body to work with an Edelbrock or one like it. They might make an adaptor but it's still a restriction and won't allow for much power.

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Oh and by the way, the Edelbrock intake will not work with the factory TBI. I forgot to mention that earlier. You will need a 4 bbl style throttle body to work with an Edelbrock or one like it. They might make an adaptor but it's still a restriction and won't allow for much power.
The factory TBI is a two bbbl, so an adapter will not give a restriction.

If the aftermarket is a 2bbl setup, Dustin could stick with the factory TBI, and just redrill it for the 2 bbl design. The factory TBI intake has the coolant from the rear ports on the head going under the air passages, which helps keep temps even, and warmup faster. The extra flow capability could even help cooling, but I cannot confirm that.

· Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
The factory TBI is a two bbbl, so an adapter will not give a restriction.

If the aftermarket is a 2bbl setup, Dustin could stick with the factory TBI, and just redrill it for the 2 bbl design. The factory TBI intake has the coolant from the rear ports on the head going under the air passages, which helps keep temps even, and warmup faster. The extra flow capability could even help cooling, but I cannot confirm that.
Im not saying the adapter is the restriction, im saying its the throttle body itself that is the restriction. I thought the TBI intake had a different bolt pattern and funny holes than a 2bbl carb?

· Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
Super Burbs, better cooling I would believe but no one has had cooling issuses with an Eddy intake I don't think. I never have.

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Yes, you would need to make an adapter, but look at the size of those passages, and the coolant path(In red). I bet it would flow close to a 4bbl if nor better.

Only Intake I know of that has the coolant flow from the rear, Mopar had to have a reason to do that. We all know they do not spend any more money then they need to.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Not claiming it is better, I keep forgetting to do a side by side comparison, but I think it is definitely worth looking into before chucking it in the trash.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Remember the real deal breaker for making power with the stock TBI is the injectors are only rated to flow 40# per hour, the Sniper has four 100# per hour injectors.

For comparison a 5.9 Magnum has eight 19# injectors.

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
So you saying the sniper is overkill for a 318? Does anybody make a 2bbl aftermarket tbi deal?

If my noggon is working right, that makes

Factroy TBI 80#
Factory MPFI 152# (5.9 Mag)
Sniper 400#

Reactions: 440 4spd Power Ram

· Registered
2,742 Posts
So you saying the sniper is overkill for a 318? Does anybody make a 2bbl aftermarket tbi deal?

If my noggon is working right, that makes

Factroy TBI 80#
Factory MPFI 152# (5.9 Mag)
Sniper 400#
Yes Holley makes three 2bbl TBI units, they have two 100# injectors instead of four. I've had very good experience with them on small V8s and V6s.

The Holley 2300 style is rated at 580cfm and 350hp, the other two have the same hp rating but no cfm listed.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Yes, you would need to make an adapter, but look at the size of those passages, and the coolant path(In red). I bet it would flow close to a 4bbl if nor better.

Only Intake I know of that has the coolant flow from the rear, Mopar had to have a reason to do that. We all know they do not spend any more money then they need to.

View attachment 636230
I don't know of any other intake that has coolant flow under all intake ports, definitely a good idea for a wet manifold.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire

The coolant passages are near the heads as well, yes I just happened to have a TBI intake handy.

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
My memory is failing, I thought they went together, and ran down the center. An interesting idea.

· Super Moderator
6,634 Posts
What a weird intake compared to what I'm used too. I never got into the TBI setup when I went injected.

· Registered
2,742 Posts
I would like to stick a large bore 2GC on a stock TBI engine and intake sometime just to see how much difference actually having some serious fuel flow would make, the 5.2 TBI only has 60# worth stock, on top of smaller butterflies and bores compared to the 360.

Or the BBD on a slant six or 318 2bbl, so far I've only used one for a 258 AMC, the 2300 I've actually installed on a 429 2bbl and was impressed by how much of an improvement it was over the stock carb.

These are all Sniper TBIs not carburetors, just to avoid any confusion.

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Someday I will try the holley 2245 on a stock 318. It did ok on a 400, so might be decent on a 318.

Reactions: 440 4spd Power Ram

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Ok, so I have found the Holley Sniper 2300, I like the looks of that unit. So I can stay with the stock intake with that, just have to make an adapter plate for the two, would a 1" thick plate be to much?

What about a cam? I don't know anything about cams, so please give me brands and part numbers. As stated before, I am wanting low end torque for towing my boat and such.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts