Dodge RamCharger Central banner
201 - 220 of 247 Posts

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,629 Posts
One thing... the 3 speed 727 is at a great disadvantage compared to the later model 4, 5, 6, 8 speed units out there in almost everything.
When the engine is always at the peak torque range, like all the later model stuff is, the 3 speed fails immensely.
Remember way back... oops sorry, you young punk ;D, 3 speed manuals were a joke for performance?
The 4 speeds ruled.
Hey, 53 ain't THAT young. But thank you 😁

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
I have pulled my 88 D150 in the garage to fix the chewed up electrical. The wires that are chewed up go to the IAC, unfortunately the plug is missing. Does anyone know where I can purchase it at? Or at least a generic one that I can make work?

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Contrary to your opinion, you can still find 440s for a reasonable price. You just have to look. The fact they were also available in RVs simply adds another source for these engines.
Well, I was not looking much until this thread, and ran across a guy selling a 77 440 for $350 on Craigs list. He had the add up for over a month and kept refreshing it. No pics. E-mailing him, was just about as bad, but Sunday we finally got a chance to go look. I asked him what his lowest price is, and he came back with the make an offer. I was getting ready to say $250 (would even have gone with the $350 if he held firm). but my Wife spoke out with $150. I said no, maybe $250 would be fair. Then the seller came back with how about split it at $200. I tried not to smile too much when I said ok. Went back today and picked it up.

Out of a 77 Motor home, so it has the heads with extra cooling holes, and the RV water pump that Sam had the issues with.

This was on the air cleaner, might have helped Sam.

Font Gas Signage Metal Rectangle

Wood Font Gas Bumper Soil

Has a drivers side truck manifold

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

But the passenger side has the outlet to the rear.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Bumper

And an adapter for an external oil cooler.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Tire

And a aftermarket mount for a York style compressor.

Hood Sleeve Gesture Auto part Automotive tire

Also came with an Edlebrock 1406, and a holley chock block.

Now I just need to figure out what trans I want to go with, and of course find one.

Attachments

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Damm you guys, I was fine with Small blocks. :rolleyes:

· Registered
954 Posts
Just as a mention on the RV water pump housing and thermostat issue. Milodon appears to no longer offer the RV style thermostat that Sam had put in his. Him and I conversed about this just the other day. I wanted the milodon version but it is currently not known if they will get any more/manufacture anymore from what I found out. I ended up going with an EMP high performance one made by Robert Shaw. Took me about an hour of digging to find the right part number and style needed as their website is not the greatest. Mr. Gasket still offers theirs, but per reviews they are not to great in the quality department as has been mentioned on this site for a while now.

Neil

· Registered
2,742 Posts
Damm you guys, I was fine with Small blocks. :rolleyes:
Don't forget the oil pan/pickup and motor mount brackets as the RV 440s still used the '71-back mounts and pan.

On the transmission of course a 727 would be the simplest route unless you want to swap out for a manual or a AOD, either of those options gets expensive or time consuming trying to find all the stuff required for the conversion.

I'd go with a non lockup A518 and a conversion bellhousing so you can use a standard cast crank 440 torque converter and a toggle switch for OD, a lockup trans would require a balanced flexplate or a custom TC.

Reactions: neil4224

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
Just as a mention on the RV water pump housing and thermostat issue. Milodon appears to no longer offer the RV style thermostat that Sam had put in his. Him and I conversed about this just the other day. I wanted the milodon version but it is currently not known if they will get any more/manufacture
Well, that is not good. The water pump housing is a reason I like this engine. Thanks, I will start looking for one and a spare now. I see having the mopar part number does not help any either.
I'd go with a non lockup A518 and a conversion bellhousing so you can use a standard cast crank 440 torque converter and a toggle switch for OD, a lockup trans would require a balanced flexplate or a custom TC.
Yea. I would prefer a Lockup, I think they are better for cruising. I do have a 46RH, I might use. I might even try making my own adapter. There is no rush, and I do have more too-doos that have a higher priority.

Reactions: 440 4spd Power Ram

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Just as a mention on the RV water pump housing and thermostat issue. Milodon appears to no longer offer the RV style thermostat that Sam had put in his. Him and I conversed about this just the other day. I wanted the milodon version but it is currently not known if they will get any more/manufacture anymore from what I found out. I ended up going with an EMP high performance one made by Robert Shaw. Took me about an hour of digging to find the right part number and style needed as their website is not the greatest. Mr. Gasket still offers theirs, but per reviews they are not to great in the quality department as has been mentioned on this site for a while now.

Neil
This gradual phase out of parts is annoying, I swear everyday something I looked at the day before is no longer available....

· Registered
954 Posts
This gradual phase out of parts is annoying, I swear everyday something I looked at the day before is no longer available....
I know same thing happened to 2wd ceramic coated headers offered by flowtech. I ordered them through summit I believe the part number is 66003flt or something close. I get an email two weeks later they are no longer available and will not be reproduced. Ordered the 4wd versions and they say they will be available mid February. As a result of getting the 4wd versions (additional 48 bucks) I had to order additional header collectors for another 60 that are 3 inch diameter to fit the rest of my exhaust I already purchased.....

Unreal......

Neil

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
I found this intake on summit, I think this what I will go with, if this will work with the TBI or Holley Sniper. You guys thoughts are appreciated. Will probably end up putting one on my 1988 318 and 1989 360.

· Registered
954 Posts
Man those got expensive, but they are the go to when it comes to intakes for below 6 k rpms.

Neil

· Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,629 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,629 Posts

· Administrator
29,193 Posts
For that many beans, I would just go with the factory 4bbl intake. unless you have changed pistons and cam, you will never see any gain with that intake. Many tests over the years have shown the factory 4bbl intake is right up there with the big money ones.

· Super Moderator
6,629 Posts
Yep, for instance, I remember the factory 340 intake flowed as well as the Edelbrock LD340 - just heavier.

· Registered
324 Posts
201 - 220 of 247 Posts