Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is this light for? It makes no reference to it in my haynes other than check engine which is for the 88+ models. I think that a couple sensors will set it off at certain mileage intervals? Or could it be because my alt just took a dump?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
There is a smallish white box behind the dash on the passenger side. Remove the glovebox to get at it. Press the small reset button on the side of the box with a pen, and the light will go out for another ~60k miles. You can also just remove the 9V battery from the box.

-SM

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly triggers the light to go off? Is there a sensor thats bad?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You have a pair of contacts that are in the back of the speedometer which make connection every mile (I think thats the interval) then that contacting goes back into the box and the chip and 9volt battery count up until 12,000 miles or something like that worth of contact closures. Then the chip sets an op-amp lamp driver and the light on the dash comes on. This can either be reset by pushing the button with a paper clip or allen wrench or taking out the 9volt battery.

This system was before computer controled engines and was just a reminder light to have you bring your vehicle in to have the emissions crap checked and the button re-set and a new battery put into that module to the right of the glove box. It has nothing to do with anything else.

I took out the battery, the engine maintenance required light will never come on again.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yup, all it does is count. Reset or remove it soon, or your dash will start to melt.

Matt {peace}

1 - 5 of 5 Posts