Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a rear-main bearing go bad on me. Went and got all new bearings and a complete gasket and seal kit. Should I go ahead and do a complete engine rebuild or just do the underside?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If your rear main went bad then your cam bearings are shot too and i'm sure a whole lot more. The reason why is the rear main is directly fed from the oil pump. Its the first thing that gets oil when you start your engine up. I've torn down alot of engine, some had rod bearings almost melted to the crank and the rear main was still in good shape. So therefore, I really feel that if your oiling was so severe that your rear main went bad then I say alot of things in your engine went dry. I would rebuild it completely and get new rocker arms.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
That's what I was getting at....if the main went, chances are good there are other problems too. The only time I have seen a main bearing go and nto have other problems, was when the chamfer on the bearing was wrong, and it seized.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you can afford it, bite the bullet and do it all. You will be much happier in the long run.

Mac

1 - 5 of 5 Posts