Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after we broke it in, we idled it down and it was really rough the tachometer was bouncing like crazy.

so i'm thinking one of them had a miss, perhaps?

after it cooled down i took out each individual plug and checked to make sure they were gapped right and they were, but some of them were covered in a black glaze after break in, would this cause the plugs to not fire as good?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Carbon is conductive, meaning electricity travels across it relatively easy.

So instead of being forced to jump the air gap and create spark, it can take a short cut across the carbon. Same thing as any other electrical "short" where electrons can take a short cut instead of going where they need to. Like a chaffed wire that "short cuts" on your frame rail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so what your saying is that, the sparks are weaker than normal, cause there essentially "shorting out"

thanks Joe. S

·
Registered
29,343 Posts
yup carbon fouled spark plugs / ought ta lite but they dont / l hate that

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If it idling rough then use a vacuum gauge and see what the vacuum reading is and if the needle is bouncing.  Many chilton or haynes manuals will show you what the readings mean.  There use to be (may still exist) a website that showed what different vacuum readings mean and it was animated.  If you have a vacuum leak at one intake port it will idle rough.  If you have a vacuum leak between two intake ports it will idle really erratic.  So I think vacuum gauge is the first thing i would do. Then go from there.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Champion plugs is your first mistake! That is the only brand of plug that I have had fail on me.  I'm just throwing that out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chrysler300le said:
If it idling rough then use a vacuum gauge and see what the vacuum reading is and if the needle is bouncing. Many chilton or haynes manuals will show you what the readings mean. There use to be (may still exist) a website that showed what different vacuum readings mean and it was animated. If you have a vacuum leak at one intake port it will idle rough. If you have a vacuum leak between two intake ports it will idle really erratic. So I think vacuum gauge is the first thing i would do. Then go from there.
i will start there thanks, chrysler300le

thank you guys for making this site, cause you can find Ford and Chevy guys everywhere but not a lot of Dodge guys (unless there on this website)....

i will experiment with different plugs and see what i get and i will remember not to use Platinum Plugs

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Champion plugs are not your problem.  They are what came in your truck from the factory.  To this day Chrysler still uses Champion.  They are my preferred plug. I've tried others  but went back to Champion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hybrid 1ton said:
It'd also be important to find the cause of the fouling. Without it, you'll just foul the second set.
i think i know:

1. my grandpa splashed a lil too much gas down the carb.

2. it was revved up to 4000 rpm from being cold

1 - 11 of 11 Posts