Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The date is 2 years ago (summer night-about 80 degrees), the vehicle is a 76 RC 440 with 149,000 miles on the clock, eastbound on I-40 at about 75 mph, about 15 miles west of Albuquerque. Passing a semi truck going up hill, I began to hear knocking, then louder knocking then lost power a little then a sound like wet newspaper getting sucked through a vacuum cleaner hose. Engine missing but still running, drove it into Albuquerque and home. Pulled into the driveway and the engine died. Next day I noticed wet oil inside the driver side exhaust tip and the engine started but ran rough like it does when a plug wire is pulled, and with ticking of lifters. Checked oil level, it was low. Finally pulled the head and this is what I found in the drivers side, second piston from the front. (see pic) I also pulled out the spark plug. You might be able to see that the spark plug electrode is completely busted off and bent. Ok - towed it to a friends house and we set to work pulling out the engine. In the oil pan I found quite a bit of odd debris: soft metal strips and chunks that seemed like lead, assorted small nuts, and the bolt in the picture. The bolt is hollow and has an end cap. One more thing, one of the valves associated with the damages piston was missing. What happened here, is this a classic blown engine? Did the valve get sucked out through the piston? I just wanted some info on if this kind of damage is typical in a blown engine as this is the first one I have ever personally been responsible for. Comments or feed back is appreciated so I can learn from you all.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well all your answers would have been answered easily by you, if you stopped when you head the 1st sound, most likely you broke a valve and hammered the shit out out if into smaller pieces some went out the head the rest went thru the piston and into the oil pan, some is in your exhaust

·
7,995 Posts
Had the same on my 440 at around the same mileage....I'd chalk it up to old age and metal fatigue. I was on a mountain pass pulling an incline. Replaced the piston and fixed the related damage which wasnt much and it started right up an ran another 20K til I sold it...the kid I sold it to put it into a canal with 6' of water. :(

·
7,995 Posts
Bummo said:
So, was the rod still on the crank? Wondering if a valve dropped or if a rod bolt let go.
Bummo, on mine the rod was still attached to the crank..the rod and bearings were ok...I figured the valve head broke off. Had the rod checked and replaced the piston and bearings, fixed the head and put it all together and it started right up just like nothing happened. I did not want to do a complete rebuild as I was planning on selling it any way.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We went ahead and did a complete rebuild and that is the same RC I have today. Took us about a month of working on it after work every night but it was a good experience because neither one of us had ever done one.

Yeah the rod was still on the crank, so we figured a valve busted loose.

Chump said:
Bummo said:
So, was the rod still on the crank? Wondering if a valve dropped or if a rod bolt let go.
Bummo, on mine the rod was still attached to the crank..the rod and bearings were ok...I figured the valve head broke off. Had the rod checked and replaced the piston and bearings, fixed the head and put it all together and it started right up just like nothing happened. I did not want to do a complete rebuild as I was planning on selling it any way.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well, live and learn! Any idea on that weird looking bolt I found in my oil pan right afterward?

Evildriver-3 said:
Well all your answers would have been answered easily by you, if you stopped when you head the 1st sound, most likely you broke a valve and hammered the shit out out if into smaller pieces some went out the head the rest went thru the piston and into the oil pan, some is in your exhaust

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Get a better pic of the bolt and if it came from that motor i'll tell you where

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
Get a better pic of the bolt and if it came from that motor i'll tell you where
Sure. It is 3/8 - 16 and it is 2 inches long including the cap bolt at the top. It is hollow.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It looks like the exhaust bolt, does that head unscrew from the head on the actual threaded part.
How the hell that got there is beyond me, is that bolt all beat up like it got dropped down the carb

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes the head unscrews. I figured someone dropped it into the motor before they put the valley pan in when they were changing out intakes - before I bought it. It is not in bad shape really. I just wanted to try to verify that it was not due to something falling off when I put that hole in the piston.

Mac

Evildriver-3 said:
It looks like the exhaust bolt, does that head unscrew from the head on the actual threaded part.
How the hell that got there is beyond me, is that bolt all beat up like it got dropped down the carb

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
That is pretty wild how that bolt got in the oil pan though . At 1st it looks like a connecting rod bolt sort of . So i take this happened awhile back then ? Again u got a sweet RC too man .

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I thought it was weird but I guess you can find some weird stuff in your pan. Yes, it happened a couple of years ago and I rebuilt the engine after that. Thanks.

BrianT said:
That is pretty wild how that bolt got in the oil pan though . At 1st it looks like a connecting rod bolt sort of . So i take this happened awhile back then ? Again u got a sweet RC too man .

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
A buddy of mine found a ball point pen in his pan two days ago. Yours looks like an exhaust stud (probably put the exhaust on before the pan). I've also hear of a mag light showing up under the intake of a bmw. Classic case of the mechanics' front pocket; that's why my pen light has a clip on it, and I check it religiously. Saw a bolt show up in a hydraulic line one time (snow cat)- mass carnage- brass and chunks everywhere (got sucked through two pumps, and was on it's way to a third $50,000 worth of pump). Good stuff man!

Why would you sell that?
$500 bucks? SOLD, I'll fly in on Sunday ;D!
-Josh

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3jvj: A ball point pen! Wow, I guess people are pretty careless at times.

It's not an exhaust stud because it is hollow and has that end cap bolt on it, like it was supposed to let something through it like some kind of rocker arm shaft bolt or something.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That bolt is hollow all the way thru?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts