Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered the full kit. Sway bar, control arms, strut rods, rear leaf springs.
Are there any special tricks that could help me out with this install? Does anything need to be modified? Am I correct in assuming that the bushing sleeves will have to be reused? I had to do that once before on another vehicle. My brother and I just got through rebuilding his 68 firebird with urethane, and his came with the full sleeve pkg and all. Thanks for any and all suggestions. I cannot wait to feel the change in handling and ride. I did a 67 Mustang once, and it really was quite the corner carver afterwards. Night and day difference.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How about a spring compressor, will it be needed? Or can i just jack it down slowly with a chain holding it back?,,,,Cruisin

G

·
Nothing special, just grease the devil out of them with the grease that comes with the kit. Get the compressor, those things can take your head off.

Did you get the body mounts with that kit? Your suspension will tighten up noticeably but if the body mounts are worn, that big heavy body rolling around on the frame will kill the whole effect.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, no body mounts. Mine look pretty solid, and not flattened out or anything. I may get them later, though. Hell maybe solid ones for that matter, if they're available? Trying to make this thing handle as well as it possibly can. For a truck anyways, hehe.,,,,Cruisin

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
definetly get the body mounts regardless. you have rubber now and that stuff is really squishy compared to urethane

yep grease

and i think i read that freezing the control arm bushings helps. or some bushings were put in a cup of hot water.

using tempts to expand or contract the bushing

there are other mods to handle better for a rc.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
""there are other mods to handle better for a rc.""

Only things I would know of are a rear sway bar, and lowering? What else is there? coil over shocks?

·
Registered
25 Posts
just be sure to only use the grease that comes with the bushings because any other type of grease will ruin the polyurethane. And if you're not into lowering then the way to get that big truck to handle along with your poly bushings is with swaybars front AND rear and performance shock absorbers. If your truck has a front swaybar tou might want to upgrade to a larger one but at least replace the stock rubber bushings with polyurethane. Coilovers aren't what you're looking for unless it's a racecar(not to mention they won't work without a four-link suspension in the rear), but the poly cabmounts will help stiffen things up considerably, worth the money.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Cruisin_RC said:
""there are other mods to handle better for a rc.""

Only things I would know of are a rear sway bar, and lowering? What else is there? coil over shocks?
depends on your level of dedication

i have found a book with a whole list of tricky parts that can work with a dodge.

depends on how serious you wanted to go.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's going to be street driven, I'd rather keep it comfortable to drive, and affordable to build. Urethane, rear sway bars, and heavier shocks should do that just fine. Oh, and mild lowering. One coil off the front, and shackles on the back.,,,,Cruisin

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
well you can upgrade front springs to stiffer ones
you can brace the lower control arm and or reinforce the strut rod (thats a bit trickier)

you can use a sliding shackle in the rear. you can play around with rear springs. there are shocks. a front sway bar is usually bigger. one could possibly be adapted to the rear.

another "drilling may be required" project.

but their are many different springs that can be used.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I thought about that spring thing, but I am trying to keep it affordable. Those suspension parts add up quick! Now, beefing
up the control arms sounds like something I could do easily enough. I do need a tank for my welder, though. Flux core mig wire SUCKS! lol! Helwig makes a rear bar for the RC's, those do quite a bit to improve handling I've heard. I'm mainly looking for improved handling and driveability, while sitting a bit lower than stock. I had a dream of bagging it, but money is tighter than a dream.,,,,36

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
my personal opion is that the dodge suspension is very modifiable because it leaves much to be desired.

a new set of front springs is about $80 in most any spring rate you could want.

yes the 7/8" rear sway bar is some help over no bar at all but there are 1.25" sway bars for the fronts of some vehicles available. plus a sway bar designed for a 4x4 with solid axle might easily be moved to the rear solid axle ;)

yes reinforcing is easily done with welder and some metal.

lay control arm over sheet and trace it out.now cut out that pattern. start tacking at one end. as you work way towards other end, use small tack beads. then bed to the curvature.

make sure to lave a space to remove shock

there are a lot of ideas on suspension mods on page 12 and 13 of the ever lasting lowering thread.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know. lol! Been reading that once or twice since I've been on the site:),,,,Cruisin

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
im wondering what can be done to tighten up steering. i like a firm wheel. i guess there is always AGR or FirmFeel replacement box but i was kinda wondering about putting a smalladjustable valve on high psi side of power steering box then reducing flow thereby increasing manual imput required to turn wheel.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Makes me wonder if the pump could burn up, or worse, hurt the box with the lessened flow?,,,,Cruisin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.