Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '84 Dodge Ram 150 and locally here in central Pa. a new emissions law was added to vehicle inspections.The law states something to the fact that a visional inspection for pollution control shit be on the vehicle.My question is how far back must I go in model years before any of this trash was put on a pickup? And can I take the body of a '84 and put it on an older truck chassis? Got to figure out how to get around this pollution BULL$HIT somehow.I'm open to any suggestions, now in the '84 is a 360, rv cam,2bbl with headers.Thanks in advanced for all the input.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You need to check with your own state and see how the law reads. Here in MO it goes by the year of the cab where the VIN is. There might be a VIN number on the chassis somewhere but here in the rust belt you won't find it 20 years later. So thats why they go with the cab. Your state is probably the same way. So if you don't want emissions you are forced to buy an older truck or move to another state.

Now with some understanding of emissions its not so bad and not everything hurts your HP. EGR for example helps pinging and gas mileage. Charcoal canisters don't effect power at all. Smog pumps do affect power but as soon as your inspection is done you can take the belt back off. New Catalytic converters flow pretty good too. Their comparable to a regular muffler in flow. So you could probably take the muffler off and add a converter and not notice a difference and have a rumbly exhaust if you want it.

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
what you hafta do is research the new law and then go around and talk to the people that are do,in the testing / we have had emission testing here in MA for over twenty years now and they just changed it to make it harder / on the old system just give it a small vaccuum leak or adjust the idle or leave the sniffer pipe half off with fresh air blowing in / there is a way to beat every system you just got to find it / the new CA enhanced emissions that they just started here a couple of years ago is tough to get around but there is ways / l cant post them here / but we did find them / thats what you hafta do

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't know about PA., but here in TX.,we got to go back 25 yrs. before you can do without any of it. Thats why I drive a 74 Duster, 71 Dodge P/U,& 63 Dart. I still will have some of the same B.S. to deal with on my 83 RC. I went on line to find out about state laws regarding emissions.Plenty of info. if you can sift through all of it. But for sure if you just ask someone about it you will be told that every thing you want to try is illegal and you should just get a new vehicle. Seems that is what they are pushing for anyway.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Bigfury said:
I own a '84 Dodge Ram 150 and locally here in central Pa. a new emissions law was added to vehicle inspections.The law states something to the fact that a visional inspection for pollution control shit be on the vehicle.My question is how far back must I go in model years before any of this trash was put on a pickup? And can I take the body of a '84 and put it on an older truck chassis? Got to figure out how to get around this pollution BULL$HIT somehow.I'm open to any suggestions, now in the '84 is a 360, rv cam,2bbl with headers.Thanks in advanced for all the input.
Drive it less than 5,000 miles a year and it is emission exempt. You could disconnect your speedo cable if you drive over 5,000 miles a year. Install a cheap tachometer and you will know your speed.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
is NC the only state actually doing away with emissions? in 06 only vehicles with OBDII systems will be subject to emissions. 440s here i come. anyway, if its only a visual inspection, put the stuff on, get it inspected, then take it off again.

Duane

·
Registered
844 Posts
I live just up the mountain from you in blandburg and I am having the same trouble. My 79 trailduster has no somg stuff, and has a different motor in it that I think never had it from the factory..73 block. This emission thing is the only thing stopping me from getting it back on the road. If you find anything out let me know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
dude here in cal u gota get pretty creative... like say havin two compleat setups .... i have a new cat on a new muffler and the stock manafolds sittin in my shed and headers on my truc with a 3 inch single pipe.... here in cal if it isnt aval any more u can get a waiver on it ...ie my 79 emisions tag under my hood said i had to have a smog pump air diverter and egr and a cat,but couldnt find a new diverter valve for it ....
come to find out acording to the cal air resorses bord it wazint suposto have a pump so there wazz no diverter....

so half of the time even they have no idea wazz going on ... i riped the sticker off my truck and now they have no choice but too use the emissions book and it says no pump for me!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bigfury said:
And there's always finding the local backyard shop that does inspections like this: "Well, you drove it in here didn't ya'? Looks okay t'me." Then do a safe inspection yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May have found an '78 Dodge 1 ton.Going tomorrow to have a look and possible make a deal. Then if it's fessible as time roll on I'll put the '84 cab and bed on the 1 ton. Anyone out there done this? Hopefully I'm not creating more work then it's worth.Thanks for everyone's input.

G

·
A guy was tealing me that if it is older than 82 you dont need all that stuff. Im not sure but I will get a hold of him tonight and see what the deal with this emissions crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts