Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 89 w150 running.  It runs at very low idle as if the little solenoid that pushes on the throttle lever isnt working.  THe truck has been sitting for 2 years until tonite tho, so Im not looking too much into it until I run it a bit more and get some fresh gas in it. 

My question is....

THere is an awful lot of emissions stuff on this truck.  Most of it doesnt seem to be directly connected to the PCM.  Is it possible to rip most of this junk out?  I have a smog pump, canisters, tubes, all kinds of stuff everywhere.  Will the truck still run correctly if I remove all of this stuff?    Has anyone gutted all the emissions equipment without affecting the driveability of the truck.  ( Im leaving the cat in)

The truck isnt really a daily driver or commuter before I get flamed for destroying the environment.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,390 Posts
depends on which AIR system you have and theres TWO different systems / if it pumps AIR to the LEFT head or exhaust manifold were the 02 sensor is then NO you cant remove it / if the AIR tube runs down to just by the CAT then YES you can remove it

·
Registered
29,390 Posts
just look at the picture below / if you have whats on the "left side of the page" were it pumps AIR into just before the CAT you CAN remove it / if you have the system were it runs behind the Dist and pumps AIR into the exhaust manifolds you CANT remove it / that system is designed to make the exhaust run HOT and LEAN in the manifolds so the 02 sensor works right and your truck runs good

Attachments

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine has the tube that goes to the cat and the 2 tubes that bolt to the back of the manifolds... 

So if I pulled the smog pump and all the tubes and capped the ends of the manifolds with a block off plate the truck wouldnt run?

·
Registered
29,390 Posts
it would run FINE except when the PCM wants the AIR injection / basically your motor would be running RICH all the time and the PCM would try to LEAN it out / it would be a back and fourth fight for the PCM when it commands the AIR on and it aint there / the PCM is looking for the exhaust to go lean and when it does not it leans the fuel out to compensate / you might get surging at hi-way speeds / for a around town and woods truck l would not worry about it

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anyway to trick the computer to thinking its still on there or that its running correctly?    I would really like to do away with all this stuff and the smog pump and just cap off the ends of the manifolds.....

·
Registered
904 Posts
I did away with the smog pump on my ol' 90 Dakota (3.9) with the same TBI setup when it locked up w/ no adverse affects; though the O2 is further "downstream" on that one than on your truck

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I removed my smog pump, The tubes, EGR is blocked and I have no cats. The O2 is still in place though. The truck now runs better than it ever has and has more pep than ever too. Before I did this it was running really rich, Now it seems to be running right on the money. I welded the smog tubes shut on the manifolds.

·
Registered
29,390 Posts
l personally have had varying results with removing the smog tubes and pump / its a craps shoot weather it runs better or worse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.