Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Q-jet from the local JY. It was on an obviously modified 70 something Dodge PU on a small block. I apparently didn't do my homework well enough and got one that may not work for me.

According to the model number it is from a 1983 Olds with manual trans. It looks to me like it is the electronic model that has TPS and Mixture Control Soleniod which is controled by a ECM. It doesn't have the Idle Speed Control (ISC) though.

My plan was to use this carb to replace the 2 barrel on my 85 RC 318 automatic. I don't think I have to worry about the TPS because that is an outbound interface sending thottle positioning info to ECM. But I don't know what to do about the Mixture Control Soleniod. From the book it sounds like that is what is controling fuel/air mixture except at idle and WOT. What confusses me is that the carb was on a truck that I am pretty sure didn't have an ECM to signal the MCS.

Also, is the fact that this carb was on a manual transmission going to cause me any problems. I know there is some work to be done about the Kick-down/transmission presure linkage but anything else?

Has any body done this? Any clues appreciated.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
With the solenoid not powered by the 'puter, it will stay in a full rich position. If it was in fact modified to use with the non-ECM vehicle, then it was already jetted down to compensate. Try it out and if basic tuning doesn't get it running near stoich, then try rejetting.
Get the linkage from another junk carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts