Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, call me a newb as my profile states......but I started my car with a brand new alternator in it. The car starts up and is running. I disconnect the negative side of the battery terminal after it is started up....the car should stay on....correct? And if this is correct if the car dies, it would be the voltage regualtor that needs replacing.....please educate me if I am way off?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
What is your voltage across the battery with out the engine running? What is the voltage across the battery "with" the engine running? What are the reasons that you have changed the alternator? Did you old one go bad? Or has the battery been getting weak and needing jumping? Need some more details!

You should have 12.8 to 13.6 or so when engine is off, and with the engine running it should be 14 or so volts. Is your fan belt tight, have all the connections on the alternator been checked and do you have a proper ground for the block to the frame/chasi ?

I know that other cars and trucks that I have had in the past ran with out the battery connected. Not long or well, but ran non the less. I don't know for sure with RC's, I have ran my Neon without the battery. If your voltages are not up when the engine is running then you may have a bad regulator. Check all the cabling first before changing the regulator.

·
Registered
397 Posts
my 73 runs with no battery................
i would think yours should run also
you really need a volt meter or a voltage gauge

·
Registered
29,628 Posts
depending on the vehicle is weather or not it should run pulling the NEG terminal / if its a dodge and older than 1974 with points ignition and NON-solid state regulator it,ll run / if its newer than that with an ECM and solid state regulator DONT pull the terminal off you,ll burn something out for sure / l,m suprised the NEON didnt blow up

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lots of times the diodes in the alternator will pop if you disconnect the battery cable while running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.