8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im trying to find the common thread between the following components:

Headlights
Brakelights
Door Locks
Electric Windows
Horn

They all dont seem to be working on my truck i have checked the headlight switch and the horn relay and the battery is new.

i am looking through the schematics and i can't seem to find a common ground / relay / anything that would cause ALL of these systesm to not being able to work

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance and have a great day.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
All of the components you listed are independent of the ignition switch except the power windows...about the only place I can think of that has all these components wires running through it is the bulkhead connector. Try pulling it off and cleaning the contacts if there is eveidence of dirt/dust/corrosion....

-SM

·
7,995 Posts
You have a blown fusible link or a wiring problem near there. Notice that circuit L1 goes to your headlight switch and fuses 7,8,9,10 and if it's open you will loose all the accessories that you mentioned. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope i thought it was a fuseable link also but it was the number 1 pin on the Bulkhead connectory i touched the wire (with battery disconnected of course) and my hand came back and it was all covered in green dust som how water had gotten into the bulkhead connector and coroded pin 1 headlamp connector.

But this begs a question how the heck does the bulkhead connector come off? i was going to replace just the connectors but I cut the wires and am going to put a jumper through another spot on the bulkhead instead of dealing with the bulkhead. Any ideas? i have the service manual but for the life of my i can't tell how to remove the dang thing. thanks in advance and have a great day all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's anything like my '82, you will need a 3/8 socket accessed from the engine compartment. A 1/4 drive works best but a 3/8 will also do.

·
7,995 Posts
There should be a bolt/screw in the middle of the connector, remove it and pull the connector apart. It may be a little difficult to get apart if there is alot of corrosion so spray the heck out of it with WD-40 and let it soak. It will not damage anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
make sure your battery is grounded to the frame as well as the motor.also i've been using a new product called corrosion block .it kicks #$% on wd-40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts