Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about two weeks of my 83 running and starting fine my electrical problem is back. What happens is when I went to turn the key I had no electrical power at all. Usually I get the buzz and the radio and the lights work but I had nothing. Last time I had changed out the ground wire from the battery to the frame because the wire was toast due to it being to thin. It didn't start last time until I disconnected the battery then reconnected it. So this time I just disconnected the positive lead then reconnected It and it works again. Like I stated in my post from before something reset! I know everyone told me there is nothing to reset but something is happening. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
technically there is nothing to reset on a 83 / l,d say fiddling with the + battery cable reconnects power that your loosing on the MAIN fusible link wire

·
Registered
46 Posts
look at your voltage meter and see if it looks melted. I had a similar problem with my 80 and after it happened a few times, and I had replaced everything else I discovered that to be the problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the voltage regulator?  I'm wondering if it's in the ignition. I can start the truck without they key. Seems a little sloppy when I go to turn the ignition. 

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also next time it does it I'm gonna unhook the neg battery cable to see if it has the same effect.  It's gonna be a few day though cause I'm in the process of swapping intakes and carbs with my 79.

·
29,552 Posts
ramcharger russell said:
look at your voltage meter and see if it looks melted. I had a similar problem with my 80 and after it happened a few times, and I had replaced everything else I discovered that to be the problem.
The problem you refer to is only on 80 and older models....and it is an ammeter not a volt meter. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Along the lines of what Deano is saying, what may be happening when you pull of the positive cable and re-connect it is that it is somewhat cleaning the post and cable end and allowing just enough more of a connection to allow power to flow.

Since I told Joe I would pass along all the knowledge he gave me in my search for power loss and electrical connections take a look at this topic:

http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php/topic,133886.0.html

Specifically the videos that show how to check for voltage drop in your cables. May be something as simple as just needing a good cleaning on the cables and terminals or new cables.

Eric

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after reading all the post and it happening again I'm pretty sure it's the positve battery terminal. I probably should replace the positive cable.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
amazing those 2 cables on ur battery cna cause alot of headaches lol ..also get some good anti  corrsion spray for ur electrical terminals its usually red and will keep the corrosion off ur terminals ...use it on all ur terminals like ur starter and alt too ..stuff is awesome especially if u wheel in the goo alot  ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.