Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a friend show me this.

80's and early 90's Cadillacs used a small electrical compressor for an air ride suspension. this compressor doesnt have a huge output, maybe 0.4 CFM, but is capable of pressures approaching 100 PSI.

for someone who is willing to run tanks, and not wanting to mess with belts and such, this might be a good idea.

Jake

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
nope dosent work

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i already tried this only pumps 75 psi used t different compressors with the same results.

ended up with the goodyear system

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Hey jake i have on board electric air done fairly cheap.
the tank is a 5 gal air can from home depot compressor is a hadley unit origanlly for my airhorns just add a electric pressure switck and assorte fittings and your done :)

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dodge8564 said:
Check out these links Jake.
Quick Air Compressors
Mile Marker Bigguns
ARB compressor
I know you were going for cheap, but these are all readily available.
yeah, but the caddy compressor can be had for ~$35, that's a far cry from $400 plus.

Bogie, that is the same basic setup i'm talking about. what kinda air pressure are you working with?

Jake

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've got the ViAir on board elec. compressor. I've got friends who installed the other types too. The bottom line in my opinion, nothing beats volume, (ie; a tank pressurized creating a significant reserve...).

Let's face it, having on board air, even if it's slow, (in most cases), beats not having a source of air at all. Having a tank vs not having a holding tank is the difference in waiting 15 minutes vs 3.5 minutes. In my experience, they all all work about the same, (On the order of my Viair onboard system), however nothing beats having a tank.

Most of these "better" compressors, with no tank, will refill a dead flat 37"x13.5x15 tire to 28 psi, in about 22-25 minutes, providing the bead hasn't been broken, (regardless of the manufacturer's claims). If that happens, we all know what we have to do to fix that..... a little "Boom Boom" in a can.

You can't beat on-board volume. I'm getting ready to plumb my truck with a 15 gallon tank, fittings and air chucks front and rear, rigidly mounted.

Just my .o2...

RWTD

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
422 Posts
basicaly your not suposta run it for long periodes of time. say for th 10% duty one, you could run it for say 1 minute then have to switch it off for 9 then back on for 1 then off for 9...... exactly what the window is I don't know, basicaly it says that it should be off alot more than on =)

you can probably get away with longer than that, but it wouldn't be recomended (shorter life).....

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wouldn't get too wrapped up on duty cycle. A 33% duty cycle Thomas compressor will do you just fine. Volume flow is the big thing cuz if you're using tools or filling a tire you're going to want a quick comp.

I have 2 Viair 450's under my truck for my air ride system. Each pulls under 30A and the truck has no problem with that. They're 100% duty cycle and about $200 each. You can get a lower duty cycle for cheaper.

Do like Bogie did and get a tank from Wally Mart for like $20. It's all you really need for simple stuff. If this is something you plan on using a lot, ie airing up and down some fatty tires, running air tools, etc you can just use a Nitrogen tank from the welding shop. There are tons of options and it's really not that hard to do.

·
3,752 Posts
gmule said:
How big of an electric motor do think you would need to spin a york compressor? Kind of like a do it yourself oasis
I got a 440ci under my York, ;D We used to have a home built shop compressor with a .75 horse electric motor attached to a York and it worked well for many years.

G

·
Flake said:
gmule said:
How big of an electric motor do think you would need to spin a york compressor? Kind of like a do it yourself oasis
I got a 440ci under my York, ;D We used to have a home built shop compressor with a .75 horse electric motor attached to a York and it worked well for many years.
So you think 3/4 to 1 hp would do it?
What RPM was it running?

The Grainger book gives all kinds of options

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
gmule said:
;D every time I go in that book or the store all sorts of bad thoughts start up,and to make it worse my dad has a account and I have there books at home MSC too :eek:

G

·
Bogie said:
gmule said:
;D every time I go in that book or the store all sorts of bad thoughts start up,and to make it worse my dad has a account and I have there books at home MSC too :eek:
that is kind of how my hydro assist evolved

1 - 20 of 39 Posts