Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1988 ramcharger I bought a year ago and I keep having the same issues with it. I need help on figuring out a power draw problem. I replaced the battery and the alternator. I can charge the battery some days and run it on the road for a few days and some days it will run like absolute garbage and the battery will die. I think something is preventing the alternator to recharge the battery but I have no clue what it is. Let me know if you have had the same problem or anything like this and can help, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
You might not be charging. First thing you need is a voltmeter/multimeter. Check battery voltage with engine off and then with engine running

·
Registered
29,714 Posts
13.25 to 14.75 on the lower end idling with no load and on the higher end loaded [ HL's - blower motor -wipers turned ON ]

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
It sounds like a stupid question but what is the gauge in the dash saying? Have you done a visual and looked at all of your wires and connections I.E. - battery terminals and clamps, battery cables, grounds, alternator power post, connector, wire from the alternator, field wires, etc.? Does the battery hold a charge?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like a stupid question but what is the gauge in the dash saying? Have you done a visual and looked at all of your wires and connections I.E. - battery terminals and clamps, battery cables, grounds, alternator power post, connector, wire from the alternator, field wires, etc.? Does the battery hold a charge?
Not gonna lie the dash components are in bad shape and the electrical is a bit of a mess, at this point all I know is that the battery is good and the alternator is as well. I just want to pin point where it could be going wrong so I will dig into the wiring from the alternator first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13.25 to 14.75 on the lower end idling with no load and on the higher end loaded [ HL's - blower motor -wipers turned ON ]

Thanks I will check it!

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
I'd get a gauge on it and see where you are at. Also, have you used a multimeter on it to see what it's doing?

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
Start with the voltage checks as I mentioned. Engine off voltage at battery, then start engine and tell us voltage at idle at the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts