Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Dodge w300
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Not one of my mopars but I've gotten great electric advice here.

04 furd ranger
while in the process of diagnosing my no charge situation i noticed a little spark when i connect the neg batt cable

I read something about parasitic draw and wonder if I have one or is it just something supposed to be live like that red dash light that blinks all the time...theft deterrent light??

I also read that if you disconnect neg cable and run a test light from neg post to the disconnected cable and it lights up, then you have a short. They say leave it lit and start pulling fuses to see when it goes out, and that will be your affected circuit. I have pulled every fuse and nothing shuts it off.

am i chasing nothing or something here? I did same with voltmeter and got about 11.5 volts
So far I've cleaned up grounds, no change.

If anyone has an idea, i'd be thankful for a reply

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
by '04 your truck has a clock , a memory for presets , and the puter it's self has a memory , so while those tests are good for a "short" its no longer accurite to think any spark means something is BAD or wrong , but how much amp draw matters , put and old amp meter in line like the test light and SEE how much draw it really IS , multi meters have TOO little capabuilty for this test IF something is wrong it blows the multi meters fuse ( or worse)... 

·
Registered
1975 Dodge w300
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the electrical wisdom. Thats what I figured it might be. Its not killing the battery or anything

so I put an ammeter inline as you suggested and the needle did not even move. I figured it would be safe to try the multimeter and it registered 3.5 milliamps.

Guess nothing to see here folks. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
{cool} that was simple :)  yes first time I saw that little spark I too wondered , observant is a good thing , yes ? great how you got a number with out ruining a multi meter !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.