Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a remote-start pager type alarm, I decided to get a bit ambitious and installed a electric tailgate release. I was getting tired of using the key. I also installed a window roll-up module as well. (closes the windows when armed)

It took me a little while, but now that I have the secret it is actually rather easy and would only take a few minutes. The hardest part being running wires. The parts are rather cheap as well. (~$25)

Is anyone interested? If so I could do a quick write up, of course I didn't take any pictures... I tend to get a bit busy installing...

Scott

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I took pictures when I installed mine.. :) I just have to write it up. I also converted to power locks and did a remote starter.. I just haven't had time to sit down and type them all up. You got the big gold solenoid, right? ;) Which system did you go with? I installed a Crimestopper 2 way all-in-one, and theres a review in the Review board. ;)

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a universal trunk electric release kit from www.AutoToys.com - I also installed a AirWolf Ultimate 2-way alarm... I was lucky as I already had power door locks and windows.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
ive been thinking about doing the same. but i dont want or need the alarm. or the remote start. i just want a remote that will do the locks, windows, and ill add a solinoid to the back gate and keep it locked. i already know that when its locked the latch is still movable, its only a button lockout. how much did each of your respective systems cost? and about how much do you think the setup i want would run?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm hoping to put all this stuff (power doors/windows, alarm and such) in my 76 Powerwagon. How toos would be very helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StandardByker88 said:
ive been thinking about doing the same. but i dont want or need the alarm. or the remote start. i just want a remote that will do the locks, windows, and ill add a solinoid to the back gate and keep it locked. i already know that when its locked the latch is still movable, its only a button lockout. how much did each of your respective systems cost? and about how much do you think the setup i want would run?
I purchased everything from AutoToys.com they had the best prices I could find. Even the top of the line remote start alarm pager combo is only $200. They have tons for much less, you juest need to find one with all the features you need. Although you will probably need the alarm to get the features, just don't connect the siren.

The remote unlock for the tailgaite was only $16. It comes with a button for in the cab, you just need to find an alarrm/remote with extra output options to do the trunk pop.

So you could easily get away for under $50.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah, $16-20 seems like the average price for the solenoid. I paid $20 with shipping, $30 for a central locking kit, and $125 for the remote starter. I don't have the camera card with all the step by step pics here right now, but I can show you one from my '85..

The keyless only modules seem to go anywhere between $25 and $75 on ebay.
http://search.ebay.com/keyless_Remote-Entry-Alarm-Combos_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQsacategoryZ60202
Make sure you get one that's 3 or 4 channels, so you'll have outputs for your hatch, windows, or anything else you might want.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your solenoid is on the outside? I have the same exact unit and I was able to fit it inside the gate so nothing shows... perhaps I should takes some pictures...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Really? I didn't even try it on the inside because I didn't think it would pull right because of the way the latch works.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
only bad thing is if someone came by with a remote transciever and cycled through the band width...keys are better for any security, add a few sticks of dynamite to the starter...{smoke}

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Bah, no one would bother. Every system made today, even the cheap ones, uses rolling code. So that thing they used in "Gone in 60 Seconds" that grabbed the signal and played it back later wouldn't work. Even if they managed to hit the right combination of variables (frequency, code, channel) to make the trunk pop (40 bit codes, the lowest in use now, yield slightly over 1 trillion different codes, then multiply that by several channels, and then multiply that by several frequencies, and you've got probably in the quintillions of different combinations), the alarm would still go off, and the same code wouldn't work twice to disarm it (the codes are pseudo-random, which means that the keychain and reciever both know the next 256 codes that will be used, but they are not in any particular order, which means if you get lucky once, you will not get lucky again because you have to start all over again, and I think someone would notice you lurking around the truck for the 2 or 3 years it would take you). The better ones use digital spread spectrum, which are (like a digital cordless or cell phone) impossible to lock onto the frequency (because it's really hopping 5-20 different frequencies at about 10 per second in pseudo-random fashion) without a whole lot of expensive sopisticated equipment. Anyone that would spend that kind of money on the equipment would be looking at Lambourginis and Ferraris, not Ramchargers.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Aha! Mine has a slightly different attachment to the latch, and no hose. It only pulls straight, because the pull cable is a lot shorter, and it has a hook that connects to the latch. Was that one labelled as a trunk pop or door pop? I didn't know they had solenoids with longer cables like that. I might have to change it.. ;D

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
awesome. i think if you rebolted the solenoid with carriage bolts you could get it flush enough to put the trim panel back on. but looks like it works pretty good.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes please...how to's please...would be awesome please! ;D

would defnately be interested in the remote lift gate opener.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
StandardByker88 said:
awesome. i think if you rebolted the solenoid with carriage bolts you could get it flush enough to put the trim panel back on. but looks like it works pretty good.
Actually my trim panel fits on perfectly and you can't tell it's there. No bumps or buldges... I just figured pictures of that would be rather useless... ;D

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
oh, awesome. knowing me, if i set it up like yours on my truck i still would anyways...lol.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Man,i spent a whole day putting in my soleniod for the hatch on my 88R/C took pictures and everything-anybody wants em and a brief description leave a message and i will send em to ya.i'm new to this site,been a dodge guy for 24 years.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
send it in to the "how-to" section (has a link at the top of the menu) and it'll help everyone. as well as bring you up to site contributor status.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts