Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Electric fuel pump problems

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Chump 
what are your computer failure codes? one possibility is the asd (auto shutdown relay). it is located on the driver side inner fender. it is the small squarish plastic housing relay. it has (4) wires going to/leaving it. the ones you are concerned with are the red wire 12 vdc from charging system. dark blue w/black tracer going to among other things the fuel pump. the computer picks ths asd about 2 to 3 seconds when you first turn the key on. (don't have to go to start position) you should hear the fuelpump run for 2-3 sec. this is controlled by the computer thru pick/drop of ads. the dark bl w/yellow tracer is the wire from the computer that picks the asd relay. if you get 12vdc on the dark blue w/black tracer during the 2-3 sec time frame, you prob have a bad fuel pump. good idea to also check for 12 vdc at the dark green w/black tracer during the 2-3 second timeframe after ign on. if you have 12 vdc on red asd rly wire and no 12 vdc on db/bk wire, either the relay is not being picked or the relay points are not contacting. good luck --sheriff--

W100-77 said:
Thanks for the info. I checked the relay earlier and it worked fine and I checked voltage like you said,also fine. I figure its the pump but I also thought there should be 12v at pump.
dark green wire w/black tracer at the fuelpump should have 12 vdc during the 2-3 sec time frame w/key on. --sheriff--

w100-77 --did you get your fuelpump problem straightened out? --sheriff--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.