Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating getting an electric fan. I am thinkin 16" 2200 CFM. I have heard the S-shaped blades are quieter than straight-bladed ones. Is this true? I currently have a 5-blade fan mounted straight (clutchless). Any ideas on how much HP will be freed up? How do you set the fan's operating temp? And, finally, what is the best way to mount one of these?

This is on my 79 with the 360. Thanks.

Daddy

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
the s-blades are quieter / you need a temp sender that turns on at what ever temp you want wired into a relay with IGN power to power the fan / mounting is determined by which fan you get weather a push or pull type as to where its mounted

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can get the fans and temp sender at autozone. I bought two fans and wired them into the thermostat and made a sheetmetal shroud that covered the entire radiator. This was on a furd hp302 and I never had any over heating problems. As far as freed up horse power I am not sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm shopping around for a fan assembly that will span the distance across the radiator and bolt up to the existing shroud mounting flange. I don't like any of the installations that just sort of hang there. Most fan makers advertise a 17hp recovery by going electric.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i STRONGLY recommend 2 fans. i run on my 440. they are inboard and pulling. i guess it doesn t matter where you mount them cause simply switching your power and ground changes the direction of the fan motor. mine are S-shaped, heard they move more cfms.
most auto parts stores sell relay kits with a heat sender that mounts right into the radiator, some are adjustible temp, most are stadard at 180deg.
if you need some help or ideas you can shoot me an IM and i ll try to help.
as far as HP, it s hard to really tell with out a dyno. i did my job out of neccesity.

good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think 17 HP is a lot.
My guess is more like 5 HP.
i guess it doesn t matter where you mount them cause simply switching your power and ground changes the direction of the fan motor.
It makes a BIG difference where to mount them and how they turn.
Every fan has arched blades which will only work efficiently in one direction.
When the fan turns in the wrong direction, efficiency can be reduced to less than half of the capacity!

Two small fans can be better than one big fan; two will cover more of the radiator's surface than one fan can.

If you do use the truck off-road, another thing to consider is a masterswitch (in the cab).
This so you can kill the fan(s) when submerged.
The fan itself won't have electrical problems with the water, but as water is thicker than air (usually), it will suck the blades to the radiator and ruin itself and the radiator.
I've allso added an alarm with it so I won't forget to switch it on again after the swim.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I am curious about is reliability. How often do these fans quit?

·
5,142 Posts
I hooked up an electric fan in my Trailduster for about a week. the power gain was definetly noticable. The fan I used didn't pull enough air, so I had to go back to a manual.

It is defintely worth it to go electric

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Electric fans will make a noticable improvement in hp, but you need good fans

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=107

Best source of good electric fans in the J/Y is either a crown vic (single 19") or a caprice(dual 14") I have run both without overheating.I now use dual fans from a caprice if you cut off the bottom mount on these and mount them on your radiator where the stoch shroud attached you will have to add a short filler bracket to stablize them.They work great no problems in 4 years

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Gerhart said:
I think 17 HP is a lot.
My guess is more like 5 HP.
If he has a solid mount fan that is not a flex fan, then I would believe 17 hp. It will mostly be in the upper rpm's, but there will be a difference. I doubt you will notice it in the seat of the pants, but it should have a slightly quicker throttle response. You will probably pick up a couple mpg's too.
If you were running a flex fan it would only be about 5-10 hp, and no difference if you were running a properly working clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Does any know how many CFM a stock RC/truck fan actually pulls ??? (or at least the range - I know different size engines, bodies etc would be a little different)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts