Dodge RamCharger Central banner

EGR valve?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Dork 
#1 ·
Any negative result from closing off the EGR valve?

#6 ·
chrysler300le said:
It could cause pinging and gas mileage will go down. The EGR valve has no effect on HP as it does not operate at WOT.
300le - I understand how an egr valve works, and why it may effect your gas mileage, but I don't understand about the pinging part ??? Right now mine is disconnected (I kind of 'redoing' all this stuff) and have not had any problems....

Geronimo - sorry for butting into your thread....

#8 ·
I don't know enough to explain it properly on why the EGR valve helps reduce pinging but I know it does. 96 and up Rams don't have EGR valves and their was a big problem with them pinging. There was several TSB's on trying to fix the problem but finally they had to reflash the computers and retard the timing. This is know as the "Death Flash" as it kills alot of spunk and power of the Magnum engine.

#10 ·
A bit more to expand on this EGR topic,
Does the power heat valve on the pass side exhaust manifold work in conjunction with the EGR, or does it not?
Most of what I've read on the EGR system makes no mention of it, but I've heard it does effect EGR by forcing the hot exhaust up into the manifold. Makes sense.

Anyway, my heat valve was unhooked. I believe it got unhooked and the lines removed when some other leaky air pump and related stuff fell off. But I got all the parts, by laying it all out I got the puzzle back together and now have it hooked back up (w/o the air pump).

The reason I'm dinking with this is I am getting some pinging on the upper side of the mid-RPM's that my other attempts haven't gotten rid of. Runs well other wise and now I'm playing with this circut slowly trying to find this qwirk. Haven't got a good test drive yet to see if this helped. Next I will be testing out the EGR itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.