Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal. Got the TD ready to go again, but no fuel to the carb. Fixed that. But when I turned over the 44 fuel poured out the top of the carb. Ok get a kit and try to do it. No big deal. What I have found out is I have mud, dirt, ect in the fuel bowls,and anywhere else fuel goes, both needle seats are sticking and the whole inside of the carb is coated with Alto dirt. I think I can do the carb okay. What can I do to keep the red East Texas dirt out. Yes, I ran an air cleaner. Looks like it may take a couple hours with varisol to clean this carb. Thanks guys.

·
5,656 Posts
I had the same problem at ramjam too skip. I would run a closed air cleaner. The open on that i had at ramjam go so clogged and packed that it just made a mess of thing. I run a closed air cleaner now and have no problems

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
well. may be time for a better air cleaner. Make sure there are no unfiltered paths for air to get in, and you may need to drain you gas tank and clean it out.

Make sure anything that is hooked to the carb has no dirt or mud in it (like charcoal canister if you are running one)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a good filter but open element. Not sure what I'll do yet. Having a hard time getting the right kit for the carb. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Come try some of this East Texas dirt and dust. I got the carb fixed with just taking it apart and cleaning it really well. I did replace the needle seats tho. I guess I need to get one of those high dollar K & N filter systems

·
5,141 Posts
I have been in mud, extremely dusty conditions, and everything else and haven't ever had the problem you describe. I have an open element K&N.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KThaxton said:
....or just forget that mud stuff and play in the rocks! ;D ;D
I'm going to tell you like I tell Sam....Rocks hurt when you fall down.When you get old as I am it doesn't take much to hurt.....I do like tio trail ride tho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Toyradio said:
KThaxton said:
....or just forget that mud stuff and play in the rocks! ;D ;D
I'm going to tell you like I tell Sam....Rocks hurt when you fall down.When you get old as I am it doesn't take much to hurt.....I do like tio trail ride tho.
What do you have for a breather filter? If you have that much in the carb how much grit is getting under the valve covers?!?

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the valve cover gaskets a couple months ago and they looked good. No mud or dirt Just some oil .

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
;D skip// i have the alto crud baked in my headers . i cleaned it fepm around the dist. and yesterday i looked up the top 2" ofthe rad. still has alto.. are you sure they dont have valve grinding compound in that mud? ..had to replace all of the rear brake parts. on the 89 wheel cyl. shoes were 1/16 " or less. all parts it took a wire wheel to remove the what ever on them.. it took me 4 hrsor so.. never did get my hi lift back.. oh well. ::)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That East Texas red dirt is tough. We usually pressure wash everything once we get home.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Toyradio said:
Had a good filter but open element. Not sure what I'll do yet. Having a hard time getting the right kit for the carb. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Up here we run alot of mud/muskeg and the back roads are quite dusty as well.
What you do is go to your local hardware store and source out some 3" pvc (elbow and straight) some aluminium dryer hose and some good quality silicone. Mate this to a stock filter housing w/quality filter and you've got a decent snorkel. From my experience, if you face the intake to the rear of the rig, you'll pick up alot less debris as well.

Good luck and Good wheel'in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.