1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
???
79 -318

got a edelbrock cam

well the instructions say the factory timing set is made to retard the timing? emissions or some b/s

says that i should run the edelbrock timing set with 3 settings
any input on this ...
i guess i'll upgrade later

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i think thats the timing gear/chain set, it lets you pick between retarding the cam -4 degrees (raising power band in rpms), stock 0 degrees, or advancing it 4 degrees (lowering power band).

I have the mopar performance timing set with it at +4 degrees.

atleast i think thats how it works, someone else on here should be able to confirm

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
i would just degree your cam and not worry about all that other stuff. From what I have seen the extra keyways are worthless because thats 4 degrees +/- on the cam which is 8 degrees at the crank. Thats too much to be advancing or retarding the cam. Maybe not all sets are that way though. Degreeing the cam in is the only way to know how it really is.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote . Degreeing the cam in is the only way to know how it really is.
theres nothing in the how tos

anyone know where i can find a how to on degreeing in a cam? :)

G

·
You could avoid the costs of the cam degree kit by getting a good timing set, installing it "straight up" and being done with it. Granted, it won't be degreed in, but even with the custom grind cam I got from Comp Cams, they suggested just doing this since they grind most of their cams to take production variances into account, and thus, the degreeing is an extra expense. Your choice.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
gen1dak said:
You could avoid the costs of the cam degree kit by getting a good timing set, installing it "straight up" and being done with it. Granted, it won't be degreed in, but even with the custom grind cam I got from Comp Cams, they suggested just doing this since they grind most of their cams to take production variances into account, and thus, the degreeing is an extra expense. Your choice.
They blew smoke up your ass. I've degreeed alot of cams and seen alot of different results. 4 degrees really makes the difference between an engine that is a dog to an engine that runs awesome. The tolerences can vary with timing chains, core shift, crank indexing being off (most productions cranks are off some) and the cam itself.

I would check the cam manufactureres website for degreeing instructions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I always like to install the cam in a 4 to 6 degree advanced position if more torque if preferred. It will make the engine run out of steam quicker on the top end, but it will make more power off idle.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMO you could go either way, 1,degree the cam with the timing set you already have or 2,get and E-Brock accuwhatever timing set from them and just fire it in. Had a friend with a GM 3.8 V6 gave him an old (but never used) E-brock performer cam I had lying around, he put it in with a parts store timing set and the thing was a DOG. The cam was WAY retarded. He chose to pick up the e-brock timing set and the thing ran great......well as great as a 3.8 genrul V6 can run,lol. just my.02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts