Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "new to me" 74 R/C with a 318. It has an Edelbrock on it and a 1 week old Fuel Pump. The problem is that when I let the truck sit for more than a day, the carb leaks down and has no fuel in the bowls. I have to prime it and let it fill the bowls again and it will start right up.

What should I look for in the carb to keep it from "leaking down". Please keep in mind that I am Carb Challenged.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The edelbrocks are simple to rebuild. I was carb challenged until I decided to just take it apart and rebuild it. I am not sure how the fuel could leak out just sitting there. I have had mine apart several times trying to get the floats adjusted properly. I would suggest starting with a rebuild kit for the carb. Autozone carries them for around 40 bucks-at least the autozone in my town does.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
common problem on almost every edelbrock i have ever seen. if i start the truck everyday then there is no rpoblem, it starts right up, if you let it set 3 or 4 days between start up it takes a few to fill the bowls back up.

only way i have seen to prevent this is to make sure you start your truck every day.

eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the previous owner, he had rebuilt it after speaking with Edelbrock about it, but it did the same thing. I also have a message into Edelbrock requesting any help they can give.

I have an in-line fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb and when it is running, you can see that it is only about 1/4 to 1/2 filled while running, do you think that this is enough fuel? If not, would changing the float settings change the amount of fuel draw?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
frockdutch1 said:
According to the previous owner, he had rebuilt it after speaking with Edelbrock about it, but it did the same thing. I also have a message into Edelbrock requesting any help they can give.

I have an in-line fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb and when it is running, you can see that it is only about 1/4 to 1/2 filled while running, do you think that this is enough fuel? If not, would changing the float settings change the amount of fuel draw?
nope it wont, sounds like everything is working just fine. on my truck i can never get the fuel filter more than half full, buton a friends chebby truck his fuel filter is all of the way full.

i have seen them run just fine either way.

eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I was not aware that this was an Edelbrock problem.

The only issue I am having is that I cannot get it to automatically refill the float bowls when I crank it. I have to physically prime the carb and once running, it will pull more fuel up. Quite a hassle.

Let me know any other ideas.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I assume you still have a mechanical fuel pump. You could take that off and use an electric pump. You could then wire a toggle switch in and prime the pump before you start the truck up. I have a painless 6 switch panel and it could easily be done with a simple toggle switch.

As far as the fuel filter-mine only fills up half way and other times is filled up all the way. Truck runs fine in both situaiton.

·
Registered
172 Posts
down towards the bottom of the "how to" section there is an article that discusses a fix for this very issue.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
smitche said:
down towards the bottom of the "how to" section there is an article that discusses a fix for this very issue.
i beleive if you look at that how to, that is for rochester quadrajets, not edelbrock performers. ;D ;D

thanks for suggesting the how to board though, not enough people take the time to look there.

eric

·
Registered
172 Posts
sorry, i don't know anything about carbs. thought since it was the same issue it would be the same fix.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The float bowl emptying after one day? It`s sounds to me like you might have the dreaded E-brock cracked float bowl syndrome, I have a 600 e-brock collecting dust in my parts pile because of it, except mine went from hard to start to dumping fuel into the engine and stalling. Seems like this is a pretty common problem or so I have heard, it`s also been theorized that, it`s the reason E-brock flash chromes them, to help with porosity and small cracks, just conjecture, I have no proof. If ya want to try an experiment, pull the carb off, fill the float bowl with something that wont evaporate too quickli such as mineral spririts, cover the top of the carb with sara wrap(to prevent evaporation) and let it sit on the bench for a day or so and see if there is any leakage. Or just give Don a shout at http://www.4secondsflat.com/ and order a Demon, thats what I did and havent regretted it since, awesome carbs. JMHO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guy at Edelbrock e-mailed me back and indicated that it may be due to the previous owner's rebuild attempt. He said that they have had instances where this very thing occurs when you don't set the floats properly (i.e. float position 7/16's from the top and float drop of 15/16').

Again, I don't know, I am carb challenged. (but I can work on some injector systems now..............) 8)

Anyway, has anyone heard of this??? that maybe the floats are so low that it can't get enough fuel to start and then needs primed if it sits too long? I will check out the " How To" Section to see about the Q-jet fix just in case it is the same. Anyway, thanks for all of the help. I will let you know.

G

·
This is the first I've ever heard of this. Had an old 60's-era AFB, rebuilt, then an Edelbrock AFB and didn't experience this. Maybe I got lucky with the float settings? In all my readings on Carter-spawn carburetors, the only leakage like this I ever read about was with the Thermoquads cracking their phenolic fuel bowls. Guess it's possible though. I do remember, though, after several days of sitting, the old mech. pump/carb combos needed a few spins to prime, but not after one night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I was cranking it for more than a minute. The fuel won't fill the float bowls and won't start. If I prime the carb with fuel then once it starts and develops vacuum, then it will continue to run and keep fuel up. Otherwise after a day or so, you have to do it all again.

Before its mentioned, I have a new fuel pump. I see fuel in the clear fuel filter while it is pumping, but it won't fill and start.

Again.........Carb Challenged.

G

·
So far, I'm in agreement with what's already been suggested. Pull the carb and see if a leak can be found, check the floats. I'd also make sure all the fuel lines are tight, and in good shape so as to rule out a gas line that's sucking air when you shut it off, thus losing the prime.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sucking Air....Never heard of that one, but it makes good sense. I will check that out because I seem to remember the inlet line being a little loose, but I thought I tightened it.

Anyway, I will try all of this and get back to you with whatever it is. If all fails, I will throw my other carb on there and hope for the best.

Regards

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.