Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got as set of these, and they seem to be a good head.

They DO NOT Flow out of the box what they claim but they do flow ok. Their flow numbers are high by about 25 cfm on the intake, and 30 cfm on the exhaust.

All ports require some work, as their cnc work is not the best. A lot of restrictions in flow as a result of them being less than thorough.

All the ads I have seen for them claim to be able to use stock components, but that is not completely true.

You MUST get an adjustable valvetrain, which is another $200-$450 bucks, depending on how you go.

You MUST get the correct spacers and clamps for the adjustable rockers & shafts, which can be another $150 or so.

You MUST get different length pushrods, which is another $50-$100 bucks depending on what you get.

You MUST buy a different bolt kit, which is another $75 bucks.

You MUST either modify your existing headers OR buy expensive custom made headers. The ones I found that the makers said would seal start at $ 575, and are not made for trucks, but MIGHT fit.

NEW PROBLEM FOUNDYou also will not be able to bolt your alternator up using the same brackets. So you will either have to make new brackets (PITA), modify some old brackets (again, a PITA), or maybe get some from March Performance (high dollar).

OK, now, you have 1350 for the heads, 75 for the bolts, 450 for the valvetrain, 150 for the clamps, and 100 for the pushrods, 115 for the March alt brackets...this comes to $ 2240, not counting shipping charges or gaskets or headers (headers will be an issue either way).

In hindsight, I would have been just as well off, maybe even cheaper, to buy the Indy modified Edelbrock heads from Mancini Racing or someone else that carries them.

These heads that Indy modifies, have relocated pushrod holes, so they do not interfere with intake flow, and they come with adjustable rockers (uses 440 rockers) & shafts, pushrods, head bolts and gaskets, and all valvetrains hardware.

You will still have header & alt problems tho.

All for $2195...and if you are a gold member, you get a discount from them.

Learn from my mistake...if you go the Edelbrock head route, get the Indy modified ones...it's cheaper in the long run.

Or you can buy my ported edelbrock heads with flow numbers and I will buy the Indy heads and use them.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I have talked to over 10 headers manufacturers (hooker, hedman, thorley, flowtech, L& L, TTI, and some other lesser known and custom makers) and only 2 of them say their headers will seal against the ports in the Edelbrock heads. And guess what..they DON'T make headers for trucks...only cars...and to top it off, their headers START at $ 575 a set. They are TTI, and Hedman Husler series (all out race headers). Hedman does sell a flange w/stub tubes, part # 11205 that can be welded to your headers to fit them, but they are $ 119 a set.

So, if you get these heads, beware, you WILL have exhaust sealing problems unless you go to custom made headers, or modify the ones you have to seal.

I welded an extra 1/4 bead all the way around the flange ports and ground it flat to double the sealing area on my headers so they would be able to seal against the heads.

You are fore warned......

Edit: I just got a call from Doug Thorley, and their headers will fit and seal fine. So, you have only 3 choices now.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they recommend felpro # 1413, cuz that is what the exhaust is port matched to. But, the headers I have fit inside the hole in the gasket. I also tried Mr Gasket # 5938, and same thing, and mr gasket 398...same thing.

Stock ports are roughly 1.0 x 1.5 at best, and the eddy ports are 1.25 x 1.75.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only way you could get normal headers to seal without modifying them is to stack two of the gaskets, and let them "squish" into the ports until they seal (which kills flow).

I welded an extra seal bead around my headers ports to get them to seal.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing that has come up.....the valve job they put on them is not very conducive to good flow...if you get these, plan on getting a new valve job. I have talked to several machine shops around here, and 2 head porters, and they say Edelbrock's valve jobs are no good on any of the heads they have seen.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. After extensive flow pulls (like over 100) and porting, these 174 cc heads can kick ass over the 100 % cnc'd AFR chevy (180cc) & ford (185cc) version up to .500 lift, but flow goes turbulent after that, and they lose flow quickly.

Mine are flowing the same air right now at .400 lift as the chevy/ford ones at .500 lift, but their's keep flowing thru .600 lift, and the eddy heads die above .500.

So, if you are plannign on running a cam with more than .500 lift with eddy heads, expect a MAJOR porting bill, as some major reconstruction of the port (not porting--reconstruction) will be needed.

My heads as ported, are capable of supporting over 550 hp, so you cna make some good power with them, but there are limitations.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump,

I edited the original post to include the alternator mounting problem.

I realize this post may sound a little negative, but don't get me wrong. They are a pretty good head, and with some portwork, they will outflow most other make heads for the same porting level, even with the other makes having a larger port volume, and they are much better than the stock heads.

I just don't like the fact that they are touted as bolt on, and they definitely are not by most people's definition of bolt on.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why didn't you use the brodix head? or Indy's head?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Or even a W, ah then that leads to a very limited intake choice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Brodix is the way I'm going to go. The machine shop I go to has been using them on their cars since they came out. Ken's Kustom Auto has been doing this for 35 years or more. I'm lucky having an experienced shop who knows their product. He says "I could do it with my eyes closed, but for you, I'll keep them open." ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm gonna end up going with a set of cast iron ported heads (360's). Much Cheaper, and will probably last longer.

Bob

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
ported cast iron here also. from HUGES performance. dealt with them once. great people. now im saving for thier stage 1 heads which i know WILL bolt on and support 450hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts