Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Italy,

I have another question:
I wish to increase the output of my old (1985) 318 V8 on my Ramcharger, and I'd buy a set of Edelbrock Perfomer cylinder heads, the main feature is that these 'heads have better designed intake and exhaust ports, larger valves, but they have the same combustion chamber capacity 65 c.c. of the standard cylinder heads.
So as far as I know the torque should not be improved a lot with these Edelbrock head or am I wrong ?

thanks

Marcello

G

·
Just adding those heads to a stock 318 will kill low-rpm power (big ports/valves), and the stock cam is nowhere near large enough to take advantage of those heads. The aluminum heads flow great, and if matched with a good cam, will net fantastic power increases pretty much all over the rpm range. 318's are particularly resistant in giving up a lot of low rpm torque, and respond very well with a decent cam. While the aluminum heads are lighter, and their greater heat dissipation rates allow an increase in compression ratio by roughly one point (all other things being equal), you can snag a 400hp 318 using nicely ported iron 360 heads, or doing a Magnum-head swap. Ahh Hell, just order these *P5249459. They're the best pre-Magnum head, come fully assembled and offer a 40hp increase (as well as torque increases) on stock 318's (more with mods). They use all stock valvetrain pieces, are a direct swap (no Magnum issues), and are a heckuva lot cheaper than the aluminum units, not to mention being more durable, and while appearing totally stock, offer cleaner emissions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all,

thanks especially to gen1dak,

As far this cylinder heads you're speaking about : *P5249459, they looks great, I thinkk that 40hp more is an increas of 50% of the standard engine !
So, if a so hihg hp improvement could be achieved with only the heads, who could be the gain with a camshaft ?
Moreover I have already sent an email to BDS as they made a Blower kit for 318 V8, I know that prices for these kits are expensive, but I think that I'd spend the same sum for a non blown engine with a lot more of work made by hand, am I right ?

thanks

Marcello

·
Registered
11 Posts
Putting a blower on a used stock (or even new stock) motor is like shooting yourself in the foot. Blowers make alot of power, and the bottom end must be able to take it. Cast rods, cast pistons, cheap bolts, wore out bearings, etc., etc., etc. Do yourself a favor and do one of the following:
1. Build a new motor for blower purposes
2. Put a new cam, intake, heads, and headers on yours
Good luck.

G

·
cooter01ramcharger said:
Thanks to all,

thanks especially to gen1dak,

As far this cylinder heads you're speaking about : *P5249459, they looks great, I thinkk that 40hp more is an increas of 50% of the standard engine !
So, if a so hihg hp improvement could be achieved with only the heads, who could be the gain with a camshaft ?
Moreover I have already sent an email to BDS as they made a Blower kit for 318 V8, I know that prices for these kits are expensive, but I think that I'd spend the same sum for a non blown engine with a lot more of work made by hand, am I right ?

thanks

Marcello
Well, take this example. A 318, with Magnum head conversion and a cam (the CompCam XE268 is often used) will net an engine that'll nail just over 400hp, and have more torque from 2500 rpm up. The *P5249459 heads were the heads that incorporated most of what the Magnums became, and, as they say, are the best pre-Magnums, and they are very close in overall power production. Stock Magnum heads will support 400hp at 6000 rpm. With the *P5249459, you are right there as well, but with none of the Magnum-head conversion issues. Having said that, you can easily make 350hp and have a total stump-puller with a very mild cam. Regarding the blower, how much power are you shooting for?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi gen1dak,

Your words are quite impressive, how can a factory 318 with not more than 180-190 hp, puts out 350 hp thanks to a pair of better heads and a cam.
We shaould have two conditions: the standard 318 'head are the worst designed and produced head in the whole history, or the pre Magnum heads are the best designed 'heads that money can buy.
I think that putting out 350 hp or 400 hp with a cam, a pair of heads and a 4bbl carburetor, could be the dream of every engine tuner, I'll check that code and I'll try to discover the differences between standard and pre-Magnum cylinde heads...

More Later

Marcello

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, having bought a pair of eddy heads, cuz they really weren't any more expensive than the ones mentioned initially, I can tell you, the heads vary from 63 to 67 cc's. Even on the same head. I did extensive port work and cc'ing to get them as even as possible, and had to cut .030" off them to get them down to 64cc's. Mine were as high as 68 cc's out of the box.

Edelbrock claims higher compression and power/torque based on the fact that MOST engines had larger combustion chambers than advertised. I know my old heads were a ton larger than dodge said they were. They also claim everything bolts on, which is not true, and when I asked them about it (specifically alternator brackets), their answer was that they could not make a head that would work on all engines. Well, from what I have seen, their heads will not work with ANY engines stock bracketry.

The heads are better designed in the port and chamber areas, and will give you more power just bolting them on. The eddy heads actually have a quench pad that works, and on most engines, will even raise compression somewhat.

If you want to see some of the other issues that the eddy heads will get you into, read the product review on them. They are a decent head, but in the long run, I would not reccomend them...too many problems to overcome.

After you get all the other junk you need to be able to use the eddy heads, yes, it is cheaper to get the mopar heads and use them.

Having seen the flow numbers from these heads (the mopar ones) after porting by well known head porters, they flow well, but the hp #'s mentioned are a bit on the high side. And most people aren't gonna spin their engines up that high in the rpm range either.

The heads on my engine, after porting, will support over 550 hp, but I ain't gonna put the money into it to get that kind of power, nor spin it to 7500 rpm to get it. High rpm power sacrifices bottom end torque, which is what most of us want and need.

Follow gen1dak's advice, and you'll be happy, and spend less money, but I sincerely doubt you will get the hp numbers mentoned, unless you get lucky and have every, and I mean every, aspect of the engine optimized and working excellent together.

G

·
Something needs clarification regarding horsepower numbers. Marcello, the 170hp number would be a stock, as-delivered 318 LA-powered vehicle. The 350 and 400hp numbers are what have been repeatedly generated on engine dynos at the flywheel. These engines have headers, not small manifolds merging into a small single pipe. They also have exhaust sniffers and temp. sensors to help get the carb tuned perfectly for the best numbers. The base 360 Magnum crate engine, for example, is rated at 300hp, but essentially the same engine in a Durango, would be rated at 250hp because of additional accessory drives, and full factory exhaust, and whatever else.
Can these numbers be achieved? Yes, but unless you get a tailpipe sniffer, and really tune and tweak, it'll be hard to get every last pony they did. As stated, add more than a water pump (which is all the dyno engines have), and the flywheel hp numbers will drop accordingly. Do you like power steering? Air conditioning? Power for the electrical system? Engine-driven radiator fan? That 400hp engine just became a 350hp engine because of the parasitic loads. On running 6000rpm, it's just an example of what's possible. Typically, RamChargers aren't gonna be screaming like that, hence my reference to a lower hp (and lower rpm) package. You can achieve most of that power in a 5000rpm engine. You should be able to manage a solid 300hp at the flywheel, no sweat, and have a very flexible engine. Remember, the 318 has a tiny cam, small head ports, and small valves. Throw in a modern intake and carb, open up the choke points by getting rid of the "small" stuff, give it a good exhaust, and it'll scream.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys ;D,

I should be half on the way to big hp numbers, a Performer carburetor and intake have been fitted, they works very well, there're not flat spots or whatsoever, then tubular headers with double exhaust system have been already mounted.....
the final job might be installing a set of Pre-Magnum heads together a cam and a new timing chain, the improvement could be great, but I'd like to reach 300 or more hp at 3500 to 4000 rpm, with a bunch of torque.
Moreover all the optionals like air conditioning, or power steering are a must for an everyday truck !

thanks

Marcello

P.S: In the meantime I'm waiting for a reply from BDS blower......... 8)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moreover the power band I need It'd start from off idle ro 4000 rpm, and not more rpm, I need a lot of torque in that range as I want to fit a set of 9.00R16 tyres, and as they're taller than 37" .
I need torque as my truck has a standard three speed tranny (727) and thanks to the standard differential ratio torque is needed from start..
So according to your experience should not be better a 6-71 blower kit ?

thanks

Marcello

1 - 13 of 13 Posts