Dodge RamCharger Central banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
My search skills aren't great so I apologize in advance.

Do you believe that the edelbrock performer RPM heads #60779 with a mild Crane cam on a 318 will be a dog?

Specs: Edelbrock #60779.    65cc, Int 2.02", Ex 1.60"
Specs: Crane Cam #H-248-2    Duration @.050 = 192*, 204*.

Edelbrock performer 4 barrel intake with Fi-Tech conversion.

83 W150 , 318 (cr maybe 7.5-8ish) 727,  3.8 Atlas, Dana 70/60 with 5.13s.

I currently run the freeway then play in the rocks all weekend with a 2barrel.

·
Registered
x_posts
Country69 said:
My search skills aren't great so I apologize in advance.

Do you believe that the edelbrock performer RPM heads #60779 with a mild Crane cam on a 318 will be a dog?

Specs: Edelbrock #60779. 65cc, Int 2.02", Ex 1.60"
Specs: Crane Cam #H-248-2 Duration @.050 = 192*, 204*.

Edelbrock performer 4 barrel intake with Fi-Tech conversion.

83 W150 , 318 (cr maybe 7.5-8ish) 727, 3.8 Atlas, Dana 70/60 with 5.13s.

I currently run the freeway then play in the rocks all weekend with a 2barrel.
Why spend the money without utilizing the breathing capacity of those heads?
You could step up on the cam considerably... but then you need to upgrade the valve train... then the pistons because your cylinder pressure is way to low for aluminum heads. You c.r. needs to be at a minimum of 9.5 to 1... closer to 10 to 1 would be best.
Yes it will be a dog because of your c.r.
It has to be a good combination balanced parts that makes an engine work right.
You might as well go 360.
Then you might as well go 440. ;D
It's a snowball effect when you start to modify engines.

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what I'm hearing is to install the cam in the 318 and save the heads for the future 360 to 408 stroker build.

Do the cam and a 2 barrel to 4 barrel TBI swap. I want a little more grunt off idle and have issues at altitude and off camber/inclines.

I new about the valve train with a larger cam grind, but wasn't sure if I would benefit from the heads.

·
Registered
x_posts
Country69 said:
#1 So what I'm hearing is to install the cam in the 318 and save the heads for the future 360 to 408 stroker build.

#2 Do the cam and a 2 barrel to 4 barrel TBI swap. I want a little more grunt off idle and have issues at altitude and off camber/inclines.

#3 I new about the valve train with a larger cam grind, but wasn't sure if I would benefit from the heads.
#1 Yep.
#2 In my opinion... 318's are a temporary layover until you can go bigger.
When you want low end power... the smaller cubic inches will not deliver. Unless your truck is light weight. Our trucks are not light weight.
#3 Anytime you start to modify much beyond stock, you need to upgrade most everything.

You'd be money ahead saving for a 360. Put your new cam in it.
Not the 318.
Be patient... live with what you got... save your money... buy pieces at a time (the layaway plan) then put everything together. You'll be much better off.

x_y_of_z_posts