Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. i was wondering if anybody knows what all my ecm contolls. i know it goes to my fuel system and tranny but what about the gauges. i'm eliminating the ecm completeley and going to a mechanical system. can the ECM be eliminated and still keep the stock guages? I'm swapping in a 402 and new non computerized tranny the fuel system will likley be a carb so there will be no need for the ECM. what do you guys think.Thanks a bunch

~zach~

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a 91 with a 318 and auto tranny

G

·
Air conditioning, alternator, tranny, ignition., fuel system. Once I'd worked around mine, only the tach wouldn't work. All the other gauges continued.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what did u have to do to make your alternator and fuel system work?

G

·
It was a long time ago, and fevered thrashes in the night just to get the thing running , but as I recall, there was a wire on the coil. As long as the coil and distributor were hooked up, the AC, fuel pump, and all electrical charging activities functioned normally. Not optimal. Obviously, there's a workaround here, I just never took the time to figure out where else I could complete the circuit. At the time, it ran, and that's all that mattered. I know there's an external voltage requlator for the alternator, but I haven't seen specifics on this. Anyone?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a 90 and have replaced the alternator. From what I was told, the computer controls the alternator voltage, it's not regulated at the alternator. So, you may have to go with another alternator. By the way, since you are getting rid of the TBI, what are you doing with the parts? I could use them if you would be willing to part with them for something reasonable. If you're running a carb, you could probably just go with an inline electric pump, cause the one in the tank puts out something like 14 or 15 psi, and i think that's way to much for the carb.

James

G

·
Using a single inlet, dual outlet fuel pressure regulator such as the one Mallory sells, is ideal since it works, for one, and the second outlet can be plumbed right into the fuel return line that's already there. This allows a constant flow of cool fuel and eliminates potential vaporlock in the fuel lines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts