Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished my first year and several towing trips with my Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins with an Eaton Fuller 6 speed installation. So far the only problems have been the China 28MT starters which have been problematic. The install included an Eaton Fuller FS5306A that I had under a bench for 10 years when my automatic failed, so the project began. I used a Ford version of the NP205 with heavy duty 1410 u-joints,  SAE bell housing and 14" pull clutch. I do have many pictures of the build from frame up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
Did a super job.

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is one big transmission. I am surprised how quiet it is. I was told that it couldn't be done, that the Eaton Fullers were noisy as all get out, I would never get the 4x4 to work. I was amazed at the number of nay sayers .When I was 15 I went to work in a shop and one of the mechanics had a 55 Ford Pick up with a 392 Hemi in it. One day I ask him how he managed to do it and his reply was.  " You can put any engine and trans in any car or truck, all it takes is a big enough SHOE HORN". For all the youngins out there, you might have to google shoe horn.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Impressive, love the idea of whatever you want being put in anything.  With enough determination you literally can do any and everything you put your mind to. Would love to see some interior shots and a video of her shifting. 

Neil 

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a few interior shots. The white face gauge is fuel pressure. I still have the Dana 60 front axle with disconnect, but have converted it to cable ( the red and black knob). The stainless button in the cigarette  lighter hole is a remote starter button that trips an old style Ford starter solenoid on the inner fender giving the 28mt starter a good hot boost through 10 gauge wire. I went through 3 Chinese starter solenoids(which seems to be all you can get) in the last year and decided it was low voltage and low current through the ignition switch, starter relay, neutral safety switch and all the 22 gauge wires. I just ordered a new Leece Neville SA-846 starter which is made in Argentina. Time will tell if its any better the the Chinese crap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As someone who works on heavy trucks for a living, it would be so nice if pickup manufactures would take more cues from big rigs.  Common SAE bellhousings, transmissions that (for the most part) share mounting points, common axle, steering, and engine components.  I believe the progress pics you’ve shown illustrate that the use of heavy components is not only possible but imo actually simplifies the truck.  Well done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
  Thanks for the feedback an compliments. The truck works well especially towing. It turns 2200 RPM at 65 MPH where in stock trim it turned 18. Now that all the modifications are done I can change trannies with out removing the transfer case or drive shafts. An SFO6406, or SFO8406 are the same case and input-output shafts but have a .78 overdrive the same as the Dodge automatic. Used are around $1,500.00 and rebuilts go  for $3,500.00 not any more than a cheap rebuild on an auto.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.