Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put the Detroit truetrac in there 9 and 1/4 without a tone ring (older style housing).is there a difference in the thickness of the housing for the tone ring compared to the older years without the tone ring??? Was reading a review on Summit and the guy said it did not fit his diff,Old style (no abs).馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody??

Super Moderator
I am not aware of any change in the dimensions of the case and I'm pretty sure I know of people who have used the later stock limited slips in the older housings.聽 The guy's review is complaining of contact with the housing itself, which is not uncommon with some combinations of axle housings and differentials and usually only take a bit of time with a grinder to clearance one or the other.聽 The only other problem I could see is the '84 and earlier 9 1/4" axles use the smaller C-clip to retain the axle shafts, which will not fit correctly in a differential with side gears made for the later style larger C-clip.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok ,i had got the yukon dura grip when i got the 3.90 gears and such,without thinking (more clutches). I talked to my friend in which his shop we will be doing the install. Has all the tools and I would certainly not attempt the front differential. He said no duragrip, send it back .especially in the dodges 9.25. Obviously should have consulted with him first but he wasn't available. He said he's had 4 of them explode due to either the side gears or spider gears being machined too thin,( forget what he said). He told me to get the truetrac. And now here I am馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These were in 9.25's with tone rings.

Super Moderator
I am getting a TT 913A368 part number for a TruTrac for an '88 1/2 ton with the 9 1/4". It's entirely possible that Summit's part specifying program is incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time I have found a problem with it and they seem to be unwilling to change anything. For what it's worth, I've also found a few issues with Randy's, but it seems likely that it is correct in this case as I know people here have used the TruTrac and not reported any problems.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/diff-wizard/?diffyear=1988&make=Dodge&model=W150+1%2F2+Ton+4x4&drivetype=Rear+Diff+-+4WD&diffid=110

Then again, East Coast has the same number as Summit.

https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-13910542-chrysler-9-25-detroit-true-trac-913a368.html

I'd see if I could get to the bottom of it before you buy, certainly before anyone presses bearings on the carrier as that tends to make the retailers consider it "used" and not want to take returns.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah man I got my shit from Randy's it was a little bit better than my buddies price plus they nocked a bunch off the total. Summit's got it listed for 400 something and Randy's said about 700 my buddy is a little over 6 from his supplier. Got a call Randy's tomorrow to send back the duragrip (fun). Yep and I'm still like this馃 and that's what my friend said when I read him the review馃 and then should not be problem. If there's enough meat I'm sure clearancing anyting won't聽 be a problem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obviously I'm trying to save a little here and there and everywhere cuz the extra cash buys more parts. I just worked my ass off today and yesterday for more cash for more parts and bailed out on fishing.馃悷

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked on Summit Friday I could have swore that price was $100 less

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.