Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need some assistance on this.

This will be the 2nd time i've put in the 727/203 into this truck, the only thing different is the first time there wasn't an engine in there to bolt up to. The way i did it before was to put a floor jack on each side of the crossmember and just bring up the assembely and bolt it up to the frame/upper brackets and then lower the jacks. It dosent appear that this will work this time as i need to line up the dowel pins and other good stuff and its a little hard to do this way. Do i need to invest in a transmission jack? I'd like to bring everything up together...just cause the 203 is a heavy mother and i dont want to have to lift it up to the adapter.

I can get a tranny jack adapter for like $50 from harbor freight, i dont mind spending the money for this. But can it handle the weight/leverage of the 203 hanging off the end?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
-Nick

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would just use 2 floor jacks, one on each end of the setup. Then once you get the front end lined up put a couple of bolts in and then raise the rear end up the rest of the way and bolt the crossmember it. Thats what I've done each time I've removed/replaced my tranny. Just make sure you don't do it by yourself!

·
5,141 Posts
I have done it more times than I should have. I have probably done it 5 times if not more. I usually just put a tranny jack under the skid plate and jack it up. That way you only need one jack and you have more control over it.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i'll try again this weekend

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I have always done it as a bolted unit. I DO take some old bolts that are the same size as the tranny - engine bolts, about 4" long, and cut the heads off. I then screw them in finger tight. This gives you 2 3 1/2" long alignment dowels, and makes it much easier to line up with the factory dowels. I just jack up the whole shebang with a jack under the cross member, and get the bell housing started on these home made alignment pins, and then slide it home, bolt up the corssmember, put in the rest of the tranny-engine bolts, then screw out my homemade ones, and replace them with the correct bolts.

It also helps if you find out the orientation of the flywheel first, then make sure the torque convertor is the same way...that way you don't have to possibly bolt the torque convertor up several times to get it right (one bolt hole is offset).

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll try that, thanks...i already have the TQ and flexplate marked so that shouldn't be a problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts