Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I wouldn't trust that list.  For example, no '68-'70 Road Runner ever came equipped with a 904.  ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Don't get riled up because the list you copied is not reliable for what you intended.  And while I am not going to go through the entire list, there are far more errors in it than just one.  Ever seen a W250 with a 904?  No, because it was never made.  Same with the W150, all full size 4WD trucks with automatics were 727s.  I see a W300 listed also, and the idea of a 1 ton 4WD truck with a 904 is laughable.  The Road Runner was another obvious one since in those years they were big blocks and there was never a big block 904.  But whatever, you spend your time looking for 904s where they would never be found and I'll continue to correct misinformation when I see it posted so that others do not similarly waste their time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually, the A 500 uses the same pan gasket as the A 904 but the factory gasket is a rubber over steel reuseable piece that is far superior to the cork or regular gasket material. Get dealer part № 4295 875AC. See here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZFOHNG/?tag=2402507-20

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I suggest that you drop it or I will be sending you on a vacation. We appreciate people posting helpful information, but if you can't handle being corrected, then maybe you aren't mature enough to be very helpful. If anyone posts what I believe to be incorrect information, I will correct it if I catch it and I recommend everyone here with helpful knowledge do the same. I have been corrected on here more times than I can remember, but I don't get all butt hurt over it. It's how we learn and you can either learn from your mistakes like the rest of us, or you can walk.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it's not your fault.  I have worked in parts most of my life, both at the dealership and at parts chain stores and while the Mopar info is usually reliable, there are mistakes that show up occasionally.  The aftermarket stuff is horrible for accuracy and it can be a nightmare to get the right part sometimes.  The catalogs seem to be written with a lot of guesswork involved and it sometimes makes you wonder if they really want to sell their products to us in the first place with how bad they can be.  This is how we end up with parts stores like Advance Auto asking ignorant questions about what engine is in your truck when all you want is a headlamp or a wiper blade.  Ebay sellers frequently have long lists for parts that I am reasonably sure they pulled out of a stocking guide from the part manufacturer, who naturally wants the seller to think that the parts they are buying will fit as many vehicles as possible.  It also seems like the aftermarket thinks that just because all these vehicles can use the same alternator, that they would all use the same transmissions.  Another way they would get there would be to say that a give part works on A, B and E body cars and then go somewhere else and find a list of all A, B and E body cars and list them even though many would have specific options that would negate them using a specific part.

As a rule of thumb, you will find 904, 999, 998, 500, 32RH, 36, RH, 42RH, etc in smaller, lighter vehicles powered by small blocks, V6, Slant 6 and 4 cylinder engines.  They are a lightweight transmission and would be found in some 2WD trucks, Dakotas, and a lot of RWD cars.  They can also be found in the little D50 trucks, and a lot of other brands like AMC, though they can be a different design and not be useful for much more than a few parts.  Just like a Slant 6 904 could not be used behind a small block, a AMC 904 would not be able to be used in a Mopar.  The engine mounting would be different as well as various other changes like the tailshaft length.  They used to be as common as an old penny, and very much unwanted compared to the 727 and it's kin, but the vast majority of the vehicles they were found in have been crushed wholesale over the years and it can be hard to find them in many "modern" yards that only want to deal in clipped front sections of FWD cars and late model pickups and SUVs.  Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
No apology necessary, we all get a little peeved at times and sometimes it can be hard to tell what sort of mood someone is in just by reading text on a screen.  I fight with putting my own mood to other people's posts.  If I am feeling antagonistic, suddenly everyone's posts seem to be poking fun or trying to get a rise out of me.  Not that they are really, just that I guess I am looking for a fight, so to speak.  Probably a remnant of my childhood and growing up as a skinny, red headed, freckle-faced kid with a name like "Lanty", lol.  So, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I am in a neutral mood and can see both sides.  Other times I fail completely, jump to conclusions and make an ass of myself.  It's embarrassing but lessons should sting a little I guess.  Either way we are all human, we all make mistakes and we are all here to help each other make our trucks the best we can given our circumstances and the ever changing parts market where we get fewer and fewer things to be excited about.  But no worries, we all get it sorted out in the end.  {cool}

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Sir well said...that was me exactly.. in this case. Also exactly my sentiments re the easy to jump to conclusions re the nature of e-mails.. . Thank You Again..  EDDIEK

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Lube locker  or death

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
904's 318 a-body came stock. Not as beefy as a 727. But beefed up is lighter than a 727. = weight reduction = go fast. A lot of people still use them in racing because of the light weight . Me on the other hand ,i like the strenght of the 727

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Eh...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
EDDIEK said:
Also i found a bolt on the forward end not able to be torqued down, to a point yes, but when you try to get it to 110 ft lbs, it slips.
I hope this is a typo, I am showing the oil pan bolt torque to be 130 inch pounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Elwenil:  No sir I believe my Chiltons or "Haynes" showed a 110 INCH lbs,  I will re check both again. But I will go with your 130 inch lbs..  typo above corrected.  Good catch. Thank You..

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Chilton manuals are ok, Haynes manuals are so full of errors they are a bit on the dangerous side to use them, FSMs are the best.  For what it's worth, the 130 inch pounds is out of my '84 FSM.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Deep pan aint gonna fit with the y pipe

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If you put it on before the y pipe it'll probly fit but it's gonna be really close equals hot transmission fluid

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.