Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fiddle with the idea of a dump bed on a half ton?
I thunk again and now I can’t believe how cool it would be. I got a manual so the pro is right there, and I saw northern tool sells kits, what ya think?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
It's a big waste of time.  I had one on a show truck, back when that was a thing, and it was more trouble than it was worth.  The stock bed is very flimsy when it isn't bolted to the frame of the truck so it's load carrying ability will be severely compromised.  In addition to that, you will have to lift the bed every time you want to put gas in it as you will have to disconnect the filler from the bedside and let it hang loose under the bed.  Also, if I were going to build a useful dumb bed and install it on a truck, I would just use one of the electric pump kits.  The whole PTO deal is way more expensive.  These days most of the people I know who need a small dump bed just run a double axle dump trailer, but you would need more than a 1/2 ton to pull one loaded.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( <<<my thoughts, and my heart.

But yeah that makes sense. It sounds like the only time it would be reasonable is if a guy installed a flat bed, but then your stuck with an ugly work truck.
And dump trailers aren’t all that expensive when you considerr how much more capable they are.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
There are the insert dump beds that fit in the stock bed, but they weigh a lot and you can't carry a full load, both in volume and weight.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I seen those as well, but hell they cost close to a whole trailer so those seem more gimmicky than anything, I just thought it would be neat to have one for dumping grass and leaves, small amounts of dirt and whatnot, but upon seeing what some guys have done is build an entire frame to beef up the box.
But having to lift it every time to fill gas, kind of defeats the purpose. If you got a load on, you can’t fill.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
A lot of which way to go, can also depend on how much your state registration is for trailers.

For light loads like yard waste, and such, I use my pickup bed trailer, take the tailgate off, and unhook, and lift the tongue, and dump it. Still need to stand at the back, and rake some out, but beats racking it all.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you actually used it, it'll wreck the flimsy dodge box quickly.  I load/unload my longbed manually (it has a plastic bedliner). Already very easy to get carried away and have 1-2 tons in there.

IMO, buy an older running 1-ton dumptruck and tart it up a little. These things are cheap. Anybody in business today is using a much bigger truck or a dump trailer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My issue is, if I have it, I’m gonna overuse it. A dump bed would work great for me as I have limited yard space to park stuff in, which is why my trailer is a 5x12. It’s all that fits through the gate, and I have to walk it there. Otherwise I’d like a tandem dump trailer.
I don’t have a camper or boat for the same reason. Because I’d have to pay someone to store it. A dump bed would be awesome, but if I ever were to consider it, I’d have to figure something else out for filling fuel, and it would have to be strong enough to handle what I will throw at it. But now I have developed a phobia of something going wrong and having 4 tons come slamming down on my precious frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.