Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll take a beating for this but...

Thursday I was going out for lunch and the engine killed after about 20 seconds. For a while it wouldn't start at all, later it would, but it would kill after just a few seconds. I realized I didn't check the oil after my last road trip, it was down to the add line. I thought, "there must be a kill switch built in, dummy proof!". Added a couple quarts of oil and it started right up. Drove home and thought I was done.

Next morning, won't start. Checked the oil and I should have only added 1 quart, it was overfull. I thought, "Two dummy proof switches, cool." Drained the execess oil... but it still won't start. I guess nothing is foolproof if you have a sufficiently talented fool. Any suggestions?

'88 Ramcharger, 318, 5.2L

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
now I'm not so sure... my buddy stopped by and says it's not getting any fuel. We replaced the fuel filter, no change. Tomorrow we plan on doing the fuel pump and in-tank filter, but I'm not convinced that's the solution. Could the SMEC still see too much or not enough oil?

·
7,995 Posts
Pull the negative battery cable of for a few minutes to clear the error codes in the SMEC. Then try to start the truck...if it doesnt start, pull the codes off the SMEC and look for a Code 11. If you have it than more than likely the hall effect sensor(pick up) in the distributor is bad. If the SMEC does not see pulses from the distributor it will shut down the ASD relay which in turn cuts off fuel and spark.

Displaying & Reading Trouble Codes

If a suitable tester is not available, stored fault codes can be accessed directly through the check engine lamp on 1987---88 models. To call up codes, cycle ignition switch on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Stored codes will be indicated by flashes of the check engine lamp.
Fault codes indicate the result of a failure, but do not identify the reason for failure. In most cases proper diagnostics cannot be determined by only using fault codes.
Once the check engine lamp begins to display fault codes, it cannot be stopped. If you lose count, it will be necessary to start over again. On 1988 models, the lamp cannot display fault code 16.
After all codes have been displayed on 1988 models, the switch function can be verified. The lamp will turn on or off as a switch is turned on or off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chump! I tried cutting the power, but didn't even wait a minute. If that doesn't do it I'll have to dig around in the dash and find the carriage for the indicator lights... one of the many things the previous owner abused!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doh! Pulling the battery didn't work. Pulled of the instrument bezel, and I can't find a carriage that looks like it belongs to the indicators. Any clue what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
craash420, do you hear the fuel pump run for a short time when you turn on ign sw. (don't have to go to start position) if not you prob have a defective asd (automatic shutdown relay) on my truck it is the only plastic housing relay on the ds inner fender. you can pull the plug from the relay and jumper the red lead to the (i think black w/tracer) at any rate it is the one directly across from the red wire. if you hear fuel pump run then the relay is bad. this relay will also kill the ign. if the relay turns out to be the problem, as a temp fix you can pry the cover off the relay. clean contacts and form the op strap so that it has more wipe when it picks. hope this helps. --sheriff--

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip sheriff, I'm not sure so i'll check in the AM. Chump, as always you're a fountain of information. Thanks! Now at least I know I'm looking for one wide carriage and not two small ones.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I'm reading it right it's error code 19, which I can't find listed. I say "if"... it flashed 1x, 2x, 4x, 2x, 5x, 5x. That adds up to 19, but is that the way to read it? I thought maybe error 12 with 4 restarts since I unplugged the battery... someone give me a clue.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
craash420 said:
If I'm reading it right it's error code 19, which I can't find listed. I say "if"... it flashed 1x, 2x, 4x, 2x, 5x, 5x. That adds up to 19, but is that the way to read it? I thought maybe error 12 with 4 restarts since I unplugged the battery... someone give me a clue.
ok it is not error code 19, while flashing you will notice that there are pauses in between each number or series of flashes, each of these is an individual number, if i remember right then you should have a 12, then code 42, then code 55

i am not sure on the 12 or the 42 but i believe 55 signals end of reading, someone else will have to tell you what the other codes are, or you could call you local auto parts place and see if they cant tell you

eric

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
craash420 said:
looks like yu have a code 12 -- batt disceo, a code 42 -- asd relay shorted or open, 55 -- end of codes. good luck --sheriff --

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, looks like I've got plenty to keep me busy!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
craash420 said:
Thanks, looks like I've got plenty to keep me busy!
i still think the only problem that you have have is a bad asd relay. --sheriff--

·
7,995 Posts
Well now we're getting somewhere. ;D I'm with the sheriff and you sound like you have a ASD relay thats bad or wiring to it. You can change the relay or I'll find you a test for the ASD circuit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys rock! I didn't bother with the Dodge dealer, but no local parts shops had it on the computer. I took the old ASD relay to NAPA and they matched it - almost. I had to remove the plastic clip that normally holds in the relay, as the new one was too large. I'm guessing this isn't the factory part... it is a 4 blade relay instead of the 5 blade shown above. Less than ten bucks and I'm backin action!
NAPA Part # AR612 Accessory Relay $6.99 + tax

1 - 15 of 15 Posts