Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
Is it possible to remove my oil filter without draining the oil from the engine before-hand, and not have lots of oil gushing out from where the oil filter was? On my 440 it seems that the oil pan is lower than the filter so I don't see why I couldn't pull the filter off without too much of a mess. Seems to me that it would be about the same amount of leakage as when I would actually drain the oil before-hand. Am I missing a detail here somewhere?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
william said:
Hi Mac,
I think you get the same mess either way, regardless of what is in the pan. That is a the result of my highly scientific test trials at least.
william
I agree. About the only way to not get a mess is to let the vehicle sit for about a week then take the filter off, or thats how it appears from my testing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here is my logic, the oil pan is lower than the filter so the only oil that should be present at the filter is the oil that is in the filter from the last time the engine was started up, therefore, if I remove the filter without draining the oil pan the only oil that will leak is what would normally leak from the filter anytime I do a full oil change, therefore draining or not draining the oil pan will not make a difference in terms of what is at the oil filter. In other words, the same as if I had drained the pan.

Mac

chrysler300le said:
william said:
Hi Mac,
I think you get the same mess either way, regardless of what is in the pan. That is a the result of my highly scientific test trials at least.
william
I agree. About the only way to not get a mess is to let the vehicle sit for about a week then take the filter off, or thats how it appears from my testing.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The oil pick up runs up it screws into the block (higher than the oil pan rail) and makes a 90 turn and then runs slightly downward to the pump, it will never drain back into the pan, other than using a remote mount the filter will always have some spill and so with the pump.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, so that also means that if I want to change the filter without draining the oil I can do it without all the oil draining out through where the filter was! ;D

Evildriver-3 said:
The oil pick up runs up it screws into the block (higher than the oil pan rail) and makes a 90 turn and then runs slightly downward to the pump, it will never drain back into the pan, other than using a remote mount the filter will always have some spill and so with the pump.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yes, i thought you were looking to see if you let it sit it will drain back and not make any spill

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried it and sure enough it worked.

Evildriver, I was putting in a remote oil filter so I wanted to remove the filter without draining all the oil to do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts