Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Dana 60 front axle today. It is on a dually truck can it be converted to work with regular wheels without much trouble or should I pass on it?

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
yes, you can change the hubs to single wheel, or have the dually hubs machined down. There is also talk of dually hubs that can unbolt to be single wheel hubs. Extremeflex78 has machined the dually hub to use as single wheel hub, may want to ask him if he doesn't chime in here.

·
Registered
419 Posts
would it be possible to run dual front wheels i think that would look wicked especially if you have big meaty tires, and dual rears, just a thought for someone who is good at doing stuff like that to do.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
sig sauer said:
would it be possible to run dual front wheels i think that would look wicked especially if you have big meaty tires, and dual rears, just a thought for someone who is good at doing stuff like that to do.
I have wondered this too, might make a interesting trail rig!! ;D

·
3,752 Posts
Hey Greg what year front end? Reason I ask is does it have internal or external splined hubs?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It seems that the front axle from a cab and chassis 4x4 has a removable spacer, whereas the front from a "dually" 4x4 has the hubs that have to be machined. Somewhere recently, I saw that someone (six states distributors maybe?) is making replacement internal spline hubs for really cheap. So if you can get the dually front, just buy some new hubs and 35 spline lockouts and upgrade to the better outers...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Depends on year,make, gear ratio, condition and price. If you do buy it make sure to get the spring plates, they are different than the 44 and hard to find. It could be a very good deal. Check out the link in the links section for dana 60 tech article. Some dually hubs can be converted (fixed) with minor sawall and grinder work. Given more info we could probably tell you if it is worth your time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The alxe is on a mid 70's Dodge W300 flatbed. It has external hubs, disc brakes. open knuckle, with a divorced np205. the rear axle is a Dana 70 So far the whole truck is complete.

·
Registered
324 Posts
missbigblue used a "dually" front dana 60 on her R/C. she had the front hubs machined down so a standard single wheel would bolt on. contact her if ya need more info..

·
Registered
419 Posts
but what about dual wheels on the front would it work and if so is anyone brave enough to try it?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dodge stopped using the divorced np205 in 1974. First year for the dana 60f was 1975. Sounds like somebody put the truck together. Are you sure it's 60 and not a 70? They did make open knuckle 70s but they are rare. I got dana 60 out of a similar pieced together truck. The front end was 4.10 ratio with the bigger end forging. The front hubs were single wheel hubs with a flange welded on the end and machined flat allowing duals to be run. Not sure if it was factory or not the weld was a little but plenty strong. Look through the wheels where the rotor and hub are joined and see if you can see what appears to be lug studs and nuts. If so can cut, grind or machine off the outer wheel flange and have regular single wheel hubs. Dually only hubs are threaded and run the bolts from inside the rotor out and the end of the bolt will be flush will the hub. If it has this style hub it can be made to work but probably not worth machining to make them work. I would buy single wheel internal hubs allowing the use of 35 spline hubs that nobody makes for the external hubs. If it runs you might be able to swap front axles with your rc and sell the truck for profit. I would probably buy the truck if it is a grand or less.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
sig sauer said:
but what about dual wheels on the front would it work and if so is anyone brave enough to try it?
Hmm, No reply's yet?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I also found a D60 dually front and have been looking at the possibilities. If you want to convert to single wheel, check this site out, page 2. I've found that getting new hubs would be $300+, and having the hubs machined would be more like $200, depending where you go I'm sure.
So I'm planning to use the Hummer Beadlocks with the stock 7" backspacing. Looks like a cool plan and in the end the price of the hummer wheels kinda evens out with the cost of converting or looking for a single wheel setup, since these D60 dually fronts can usually be found for cheap (saw one for $125, but got mine's gonna be less).
phoenix827 said:
sig sauer said:
Hmm, No reply's yet?
I've asked about this on Pirate4x4, everyone says Bad Idea, though its been done. Dually setups are a lot wider and makes it tough if your gonna do anything besides mud pits. Also, its hard to air down dually tires and when they are aired down some say it can ruin the tires.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
swamthang said:
for got to hit the notify thing
There is a notify button you can use without having to make a post, next time you are reading a post look at the bottom of the last post.

Brave enough to try what? adding another 200+ lbs of weight to there truck, have to redo the brakes, the steering, the motor, you guy's are crazy

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You can cut the dually part off with a torch then take it to a machine shop to trim down to what ever rim you want ie dodge chevy what ever then you have to buy some extended lugs because now you will use the part that holds the brake hub on as your rim lugs too all in all cost was around $30

1 - 19 of 19 Posts