Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on a 93 Ram:
1 can you truely dual the exhaust, or do I have to run into a single muffler and dual from there?
2 will dualing this model out cause a problem with the system. I have heard some trucks will not run properly if you truely dual them out.
3 what do you know about an X pipe or sim (in front of the muffler)

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
1.Yes you can do it either way, whatever floats your boat.
2.No, unless your pipes are too big.
3.X pipes and H pipes are good for low end torque.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
1) If you have emissions testing, you can only dual after the single catalytic converter. Most aftermarket kits use a 3" in 2x 2.5" out muffler. Commonly called 'catback' exhaust systems.

2) I believe the 'problem' with true duals is the O2 sensor. You could always just run a single sensor in one pipe, but then the engine does not know what is happening to the other bank in terms of air/fuel mixture. I have seen mods that added in a second O2 sensor, but I have no idea how it was done. Remember, true duals are only an option if you do not have emissions testing or your truck came from the factory with two cats, one on eack bank.

3) X and H pipes equalize exhaust pressures in a true dual exhaust.

-SM

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx, Yeah (good or bad) we don't test here. one day we will be part of the Great Smogy Mountains (formerly the Great Smokey Mountains)

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
You can run true duals but it is alot of friggin pipe bending man !!!!!!!!! i mean it looks like spghetti damn near ..... basically u wrap the drivers side right up next top the passenger and run them side by side till you get past x-fer xcase .... i thought it was pretty cool when i saw it never seen another rig done like that but whoever did was one hell of a tube bender ...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i have true duals on my truck and it runs fine. i have the oxygen sensor in the one pipe and its fine. also i did notice a loss of low end torque when going from a single in dual out muffler to the true duals, but its gets alot of power in the upper rpms.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK two points of interest have been brought up here.
1 if I true dual and the ...drivers side has a lot more pipe than the passengers...what does that do to performance?
2 dualing looses low end torque , but gains top end? any history/write-ups on this?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have duals on my truck. The left pipe runs over to the right and then after the tcase the right pipe rund over to the left and then the mufflers are mounted so the pipes are the same length before the mufflers. At least thats the way I had them but when I had to replace the pipes I went cheaper(less pipe bending) and didnt cross the pipes over after the tcase(the left ran back over to the left side) but I havent noticed a differance so Im not sure that one workes better than the other.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You lose low end torque with true duals because you lose some of the scavenging effect of a single pipe. A single pipe will have 8 exhaust pulses running through it, and each pulse aids in "pulling" exhaust out of the previous cylinder in the firing order. When you go to true duals, now each pipe only has 4 exhaust pulses. This is where the X or H pipe comes in. This equalizes the pressures in each exhaust pipe, and if placed properly, regain most if not all of your scavenging effects from 8 exhaust pulses.

True duals gain more top end power simply due to the fact that the engine can breathe better at higher rpms.

I have seen several discussions over what works better, and H pipe or an X pipe. There seem to be arguments either way, but from a fluid dynamics standpoint I would say an X pipe would work better. (smoother transition, less likelyhood for turbulence within the exhaust pipe)

-SM

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, this would also explain an artice I had started reading. It was about this device (forget the name) that closes a butterfly in the exhaust pipes when you are not throtteling the engine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts