Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come accross a rear diff from a 1992 1-ton dually that I would like to use to replace the bent diff housing on my 3/4 ton (also a 92 diesel). The price is right, and I would like to use it. Would it be a Dana 70 in that year?

Here's the questions... is the 1-ton diff the same width, or is it wider to use the dual wheels?

If so... then, what would I need in order to convert my truck to dual rear wheels? Is the front axle housing the same? I've seen some trucks with bolt on spacers up front to use the dished dually wheels. is that all I need?

Yeah, I know the bed will need to have flares added... not a problem. I may go with a flat deck if converting to dual wheels.

Any input would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
You should also decide if you really need a dually. I used to have a daully, and 90% of the time, my dad and I would have rather had a normal rear end. Duallies can be a major pain if you have to drive, and park around town alot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright... found info on the front hubs... it's a simple swap if I want to go DRW, so problem, except for maybe finding the hubs.

My W250 has a D60 front, and D70 rear... yes, it's a diesel. I want to put a D70 rear from a 1-ton to replace a bent housing.

Anybody have any measurements on the rear axle widths? I believe there were 3 style of 1-ton axles... SRW, DRW pickup, and DRW cab&chassis. How far will my rear wheels stick out?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Overdrive said:
My W250 has a D60 front, and D70 rear... yes, it's a diesel. I want to put a D70 rear from a 1-ton to replace a bent housing.
well why didnt you say that to begin with, would have saved me the time of telling you the wrong info ;D

Duane

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
CLRracer said:
Overdrive said:
well why didnt you say that to begin with, would have saved me the time of telling you the wrong info ;D

Duane
He did. ;D
-Steve C.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Overdrive said:
Alright... found info on the front hubs... it's a simple swap if I want to go DRW, so problem, except for maybe finding the hubs.

Anybody have any measurements on the rear axle widths? I believe there were 3 style of 1-ton axles... SRW, DRW pickup, and DRW cab&chassis. How far will my rear wheels stick out?
Yeah, if you decide to go DRW, you can find DRW hubs for real cheap, and then sell your SRW hubs on ebay or pirate 4x4 for a pretty penny. That's because SRW fron D60s are a lot harder to find then DRW ones, so people often want to convert and so they have to find SRW hubs.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
whlnwgn said:
CLRracer said:
Overdrive said:

Duane
He did. ;D
-Steve C.
i know, but thats not the point ;D

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
CLRracer said:
the front of the 3/4 ton is a 44hd, the front from the 1ton is a 60.

Duane
Overdrive said the 3/4 ton was a 92 Cummins. If it's a 4wd, then theres a Dana 60 in the front not a Dana 44HD. (Cummins weighs too much for a '44)

Ed

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you guys crack me up...

I'll be keeping my SRW D60 front hubs for future use if I go for DRW conversion...

I'll have to measure the axle when I go look at it tomorrow. I'll probably just end up mounting my SRW wheels and tires on it and pop it under the truck... less tires to go out and buy (not to mention, wheels, etc). Wonder how goofy that will look under a pickup bed. I might need flares!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
RXT said:
CLRracer said:
the front of the 3/4 ton is a 44hd, the front from the 1ton is a 60.

Duane
Overdrive said the 3/4 ton was a 92 Cummins. If it's a 4wd, then theres a Dana 60 in the front not a Dana 44HD. (Cummins weighs too much for a '44)

Ed
we got that covered now Ed ;D

Duane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts