Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to do a dual eletric fan setup on my truck. my question is do they make them for my truck? i have a 4 core radiator. i want a set up that will basically bolt right on with out problems. I wiould like something that pulls around 4000cfm. my truck runs fine while moving but over heats if it sits to long. yes yes i don't have a shroud, and yeah i know it will help, i have a shroud that might work but has to be grinded and welded to fit my fan. So anyways i just want some info on brands, cost and where to get them. i would really like a setup that can just go on or just requires drilling ;D

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I have them, there in with my pics in the truck section

·
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
I have them, there in with my pics in the truck section
all i saw were engine pics no pics of the fans, but if you have them where did you get them and did they bolt on?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I have been looking, and I haven't found any that bolt on to a dodge radiator without major modifications.

I'm looking at going to a chevy style radiator and then gettign a set up for that.

G

·
TheRamChargerMan said:
I have been looking, and I haven't found any that bolt on to a dodge radiator without major modifications.

I'm looking at going to a chevy style radiator and then gettign a set up for that.
Are you talking about a cross flow radiator? I have heard they are more efficient. If you find a way to do that, I'd be interested in seeing a how-to.

I've got a dual fan set up on mine. The fans are junkyard finds from a late model Lincoln Town Car. They are exactly the right size to cover the radiator core and are fairly easy to install.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have an electric fan setup off a 2002 WS6 TransAM. i set it up with two 30amp Relays and two incab switches to control either fan. works good but they like the battery juice... you can pick up a set off ebay for cheap and just zip tie those suckers on. if they can cool a 320 HP LS1 they can cool your truck with that huge engine compartment. check them out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33600&item=7920965220&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

·
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lukem80 said:
I have an electric fan setup off a 2002 WS6 TransAM. i set it up with two 30amp Relays and two incab switches to control either fan. works good but they like the battery juice... you can pick up a set off ebay for cheap and just zip tie those suckers on. if they can cool a 320 HP LS1 they can cool your truck with that huge engine compartment. check them out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33600&item=7920965220&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

That big engine compartment got alot smaller since ive put that 440 big block in there ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, you can get a chevy style cross flow aluminum radiator from speedway motors for around 165 bucks. You will have to get the universal mounting brackets too, for another 15. The 28" version is very close to the width of the factory radiator in mine.

I haven't decided if I am gonna go with an aftermarket fan set up, or make my own (the aftermarket ones are pricey).

320 hp ?? that's a little engine.......

PG...how do those fans work ?? what year ?? I may just go that route for now.......

G

·
TheRamChargerMan said:
PG...how do those fans work ?? what year ?? I may just go that route for now.......
96 Town Car with the 4.3 liter. They work great on my stock motor. If you don't have any cooling issues from your hi-po motor, they should work for you.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I don't really have any cooling issues per say, but I would like it to run around 180-185 deg, which it does now for the most part. I am running an 18" 7 blade flex fan, with a stock shroud, which is designed for a 20"-21" fan. I do have some recircualtion going on I am sure. This is the biggest staggered blade flex fan I could find (staggered blades are much quieter).

As long as it is below 90 deg outside, it stays around 185 or less, and when it is 90-95 outside, it gets to 195 or so (on extended 70 mph runs). I did raise the radiator back up to where it was before the body lift so more of it is in the airflow, and the 18" fan barely clears the bottom of the shroud (3/16th").

I bet the fans you are talking about would work fine....just have to find some. Do you know what other years they might be on ??

Also, do you have any idea how much current they draw ?? Are you running a stock 65 amp alternator ?? Are they 2 speed fans ??

·
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so there is not bolt on kit for are truck it has to be custom. thats fine. i think im going to just but a pusher fan on the front of my radiator for JC whitney and then get a fan shroud.

G

·
TheRamChargerMan said:
I bet the fans you are talking about would work fine....just have to find some. Do you know what other years they might be on ??

Also, do you have any idea how much current they draw ?? Are you running a stock 65 amp alternator ?? Are they 2 speed fans ??
We don't get the heat you get out there, but the thinner air here does have less cooling capability. I would think any mid to late 90's Lincoln or Mercury would have the fans. Not real sure about that. I haven't figured the draw rate but it really isn't much. Both fans probably draw 30 to 40 amps on startup. I'm running a 94 amp Delco Remy. With all accessories running, I can cut on the fans and there is very little drop in the accessories performance. I don't think the 65 amp would handle everything running at once. They are both single speed fans. I suppose you could wire them in such a way to turn on one, and then the other if needed. I run them both from a single manual switch.

G

·
I picked up a Taurus fan the same day I got these. I think it would probably cool better but it sure seems to draw a lot of amperage. And the shroud on the Taurus fan makes mounting it a little tricky. I gave the Taurus to Gmule. You might want to talk to him about it.

G

·
PrimerGrey said:
I picked up a Taurus fan the same day I got these. I think it would probably cool better but it sure seems to draw a lot of amperage. And the shroud on the Taurus fan makes mounting it a little tricky. I gave the Taurus to Gmule. You might want to talk to him about it.
My wife has been working me like a sweat shop employee lately so I haven't has the chance to get that thing ready to go.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
so there is not bolt on kit for are truck it has to be custom. thats fine. i think im going to just but a pusher fan on the front of my radiator for JC whitney and then get a fan shroud.
YES There are, do a search i posted all about it. with like 8 pics to

Flex-a-lite # 295 at summit

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, Ed, according to Flex-a-lite, it isn't a driect fit, but will work with modifications. I asked about that when I was talking to them about comparing the 18" 7 blade staggered fan I have with the 19" 6 blade.

They also now make a 20" 6 blade as a result of a lot of mopar owners asking for a fan that would fit their shroud better than the 19" version.

How much current does it draw ?? and how cool does it keep the engine ??

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The 295 does fit, it didn't need any modifications other drilling holes thru the divider to attach both fans (electrically), why it wasn't done at the factory is beyond me. The brackets included needed the holes slightly elongated but that was all that was needed, other than cutting them shorter since they made them so damned long also. IT fits the radiator perfectly, if you have a bad motor mount or break one you could run into a problem.
It cools good, the temp is always 180 i haven't had a problem with them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts